How do I store unused bulbs?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I store unused bulbs?

I have quite a few unused Daffadil & Tulips bulbs.
    Due to time and moving the garden around I don't think i'm going to get them all planted out in time.
    So my question is how can I store then until next year?

Many thanks Natalie
    @thecluelessgardener

Nope- I've tried by default and they always dry up and die. Waste of money leaving them.

Best thing is to get hold of some containers- like the freebie flower buckets from supermarkets and plant them in there...they'll thrive and be ready to plant out when you are ready.

I still have a few bags of tete a tetes to put in my window boxes in place of the geraniums still!!! ( yep- I'm really behind!)..they'll come up and flower even if planted in the next 2-3 weeks (a bit stunted! )..much later and they may come up blind but the bulb will be stronger for the following year.
    Alternatively can you dig a trench and chuck them in for now?)
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

same here with bulbs,yes they do die away,like the pots idea Nicos,that will solve something for me to,thanks for the,what i should have thought of myself
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I stupidly bought 2 3kg bags of Daffadil's for 50P each. I've just planted out half of them out this morning.
        I can always dig them up once they've finished flowering and move them on.

Thanks everyone!
        @thecluelessgardener

Comment

Natalie, I have planted both daffodils and tulips at the end of February and they have flowered ok, so you dont have to rush to get them in, I will have to find out where these free bucket are I have to pay 10p for mine
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

My local Morries won't even sell me any...maybe it's me?!
            sigpic

Comment

Funny the difference a year makes. I bought a whole load of bulbs last year but the ground was so hard I couldn't plant them, didn't think of putting them in buckets, they rotted. This year if I had any they would drown!!
              sigpic

Comment

Jay as my previous post stated I have planted bulbs in late Feb. and they have flowered, I have planted into the ground while frost was covering it, with no loss, the reason for doing at that time is the ground is as now, saturated with water and I reckon the bulbs would have rotted in the water. Plus you can get them cheaper in February
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Problem last year rary was I could not get any tools through the lawn it was so compacted. I wanted to plant the daffs under our trees. You are right though, if I'd planted them this season they would have rotted. Our garden in so full of water you can't walk on it...and it's chucking it down again tonight!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

I get my free flower buckets from L!dl and a local flower shop if that's any help?
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X