What flower or plant takes you back

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What flower or plant takes you back

I read Buffs post and noted Nicos metioned narstursium, which imediatly made me think of when I was young and most gardens had them growing, and the children just picked the leaves whenever they wanted and ate them, I can only remember one variety, but could be wrong, and we new them as Tom Thumbs.
    Do any other Grapes have a nostalgic moment with the names of plants?
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

100% Sunflowers, i remember growing some in school and bringing them home in pots and in the winter putting the dried out heads for the birds (then chasing the cat away from them)

Hydrangeas remind me of my grandma and always smile when i see them.
    I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Sweet peas and japonicas remind me of my Nanny but it is cos I always remember her drying the seeds out on the windowsill.

Comment

My nan use to always grow daffodils, sweet peas and nasturtiums. She also grew some really nice roses. But her piece de resistance were her amaryllis lilies, they were stunning. When ever I see them around Christmas time I think of her. The irony is she died just before Christmas so its quite a sad really as I had to collect her death certificate on Christmas Eve.
        sigpic

Comment

As farmers we didnt do much gardening but in the area that should have been a garden there was a lilac bush. I used to pick a bunch for my Mom every year. The smell of them always takes me back.
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Hollyhocks and lupins make me nostalgic for my grandad's garden

Also snowdrops - I remember when I was little there was always a bit of excitement to see the first snowdrop of the year

Comment

Peas...mum and dad had veg patch in their garden and we used to pinch the peas before they had a chance to pick them!
              sigpic

Comment

Wild Woodbine. It grew along the hedges where we lived when we were kids.
                My mother just loved it.
                Such sweet snd happy memories.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I have the rose Perle D'Or in my garden. It is a cutting of the rose in the garden of my childhood home. I can go back 30+ years in an instant.
                  Potatoes remind me of my Nanna as she always seemed to be peeling them. No rice or pasta in those days.

Comment

Daffodils! My grandmother had a border full when she died my brother moved in and after the daffs flowered he strimmed them down an old lady from opposite said to him "your grandmother will turn in her grave you doing that!" He knows how to keep them going now, he felt so guilty and makes sure he plants new ones every year - just in case

Comment

Nice thread!

Queen Elizabeth roses...
                      My father had about 5 plants in our tiny front garden...I presume he planted them soon after her Coronation.
                      You could smell them each time you went into, or out of, the front door during the flowering season.

Sweet peas.....
                      My mother grew them every year when I was a child. Once I was a teenager, I'd buy her seedlings as an Easter pressie.
                      She had a beautiful sweet pea vase which was originally her mother's ( not fan shaped, but an open wide neck like a low wide jug so they could be displayed like a posey.)
                      I use that vase now!...and I lovingly think of my mom as I pick off the little black beetles they tend to home

Also, Christmas rose ( hellebore)
                      My granny had a few next to her front door.
                      As a child the name confused me, but every house I've lived in, I've made sure I've planted a few and go and say howdo to her (in my head )around Xmas time.
                      Since living in France, I've bought one plant each year to add to my garden around now.
                      This year I bought 3 to make a Christmas table display!

Nice memories!
                      Last edited by Nicos; 07-12-2015, 03:05 AM.
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X