Clearing ground for a new hedge.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck with the hedge scarlet.
    Yew is a very wise choice, it will fit in a treat once you have the hard work out of the way.
    regards ioan
    If hind sight were fore sight
    we would all be better of a darn sight.

Comment

Scarlet, as you may know you can make a drink from beech leaves, not a thing I would recomend with the yew. So with your ground elder to eat and a drink from beech leaves you could be on your way to self sufficiency

Though having some young plants to hand saves you money(which I like) and no I dont want any of your ground elder, I am sure if I looked close enough I would find some in my own garden.
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I'm a bit late to the party, as I've only just seen this, sorry.

I would get in there - yes, on your kneeling mat! And remove the Ivy. It's the Ivy that's causing the problem, by swamping and choking the life out of everything. Once you've removed that, cut back any straggly branches of whatever is left, and top it to a reasonable height.

After that, I would plant up the gaps with whatever fits or blends in, depending on your situation/likes/pocket, and then let mother nature do her thing for a year. You can always make a temporary fence to fill the gaps if you need security.

I would avoid the cost and damage caused by heavy machinery and big tools, and tackle it personally. I would also forget any membrane, as it restricts water ingress, despite what 'they' tell you in the advertising blurb. Trust me, I've planted hedges both with and without, and wihout has always grown better from the start. A layer of bark mulch after a good watering will serve you far better.

I would, however, endeavour to keep the area as weed-free as possible, certainly until the new parts have established. Also, I would leave the job until the autumn, when the birds have finished raising their families.

Hope that helps - and good luck!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I haven't touched it yet G4. I've covered with card and dumped grass clippings on it while I ponder. The rest of the garden needs sorting first.

Comment

I'm with Glutton4... on this. Clear away the debris and weeds then mulch with cardboard and grass cuttings until autumn. The rain will ease the hard soil and the planting will be easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              I haven't touched it yet G4. I've covered with card and dumped grass clippings on it while I ponder. The rest of the garden needs sorting first.
              Well, you're certainly doing it no harm, and at least you know you've got the ivy clearance job to look forward to this winter when the rest of the garden doesn't need you so much!
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X