Any idea on variety of rose this is?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bend1pa View Post
    Sorry, but that does look like mosaic virus to me. I have a new rose with that problem and it seems to be growing ok at the moment. Apparently MV doesn't mean quick death of the plant, although it probably won't perform as well as a healthy rose
    Mosaic tends to only be one colour and with faded edges to the marks and the markings fade with age of the leaf, and not usually on every leaf of a plant

this is a leaf from mine

Attached Files
    Last edited by starloc; 13-06-2015, 09:00 AM.
    Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

I think to have that much growth in a short time frame, it is the real deal. I have had a rose with mosaic before and it took a couple of years to die but it was only the growth it ever affected. Mosaic aside it flowered well and looked healthy. Here is a pic of my recent one with mosaic it is 1/3 the size of the other two roses I bought at the same time only a few months ago. And yes I know best practice is remove and destroy but like most things I don't have the heart to.

Attached Files

Comment

Was it ever ok, are you sure it was not miss labeledit looks more like the variegated pattern? what flowers does it have?

All the pictures on the internet do not show mosaic to look like that, more rounded patterns, usually more yellow and most times the green veins showing through the marks

Also your new growth is variegated, they say it is not on mosaic infections, but is always variegated different shades of pink in real variegated plants

Variegated plants are always slower growing than non variegated

mosaic tends to look more like this ( more random internet pictures )

More pictures on this

About Rose Virus - Heirloom Roses
        Attached Files
        Last edited by starloc; 13-06-2015, 09:33 AM.

Comment

It is definitely mosaic. There are a lot of strains of mosaic, but as you say pics online are not like it and info says it doesn't affect the whole plant . When I bought the plant the shoots were green. I assume it became stressed on planting and the mosaic took hold.

Comment

As you say though, its no reason to get rid of it it doesnt spread, many roses have been sold for years with various viruses that they thought were a variety

Comment

Originally posted by starloc View Post
              As you say though, its no reason to get rid of it it doesnt spread, many roses have been sold for years with various viruses that they thought were a variety
              I remember watching a program and there was a bit about tulips. Once upon a time there was once a variety that was highly sought after and cost a lot to buy. There is only one place known to still have some bulbs........and yes the reason it is like it is, is because it is actually diseased

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                It is definitely mosaic. There are a lot of strains of mosaic, but as you say pics online are not like it and info says it doesn't affect the whole plant . When I bought the plant the shoots were green. I assume it became stressed on planting and the mosaic took hold.
                Are those splashes of yellow on the bottom leaves MV symptoms, or is that black spot, because one of our roses in our beds has that similar marking on its older leaves?

From what I can gather MV is usually spread by grafting a new rose with an already infected scion, and it isn't a fatal disease. It just results in a lack of vigour and number of blooms
                Last edited by bend1pa; 13-06-2015, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bend1pa View Post
                  Are those splashes of yellow on the bottom leaves MV symptoms, or is that black spot,
                  I can not blame you for not knowing in the UK but those yellow spots are.............sunlight

Comment

Each to his own of course but I think it looks horrible and would get rid of it double quick.
                    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X