No announcement yet.

The Flower Seed Sowing Thread 2015 - 2018

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SP, I don't think it makes a lot of difference. I've had both good and bad results from not soaking, soaking and chipping a bit of seed coat off. Sometimes they grow, sometimes they just lie there and sulk.

So I suggest leaving them and seeing what happens.
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
      SP, I don't think it makes a lot of difference. I've had both good and bad results from not soaking, soaking and chipping a bit of seed coat off. Sometimes they grow, sometimes they just lie there and sulk.

So I suggest leaving them and seeing what happens.
      Thanks Martin. That puts my mind at ease. I didn't really fancy digging out 240 seeds just to soak them overnight.
      The lilac ripple & memories I got from the VSP ( thanks to you) are germinating best. It's the other 7/8 varieties I'm a little worried about.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
        As for valerian, the blooming stuff seems to sprout in every garden wall and pavement crack all over the village, but I can't get it to grow for love nor money. Got any tips Gilly? Is my soil too rich, do you think?
        It's like that up here too! Especially along the coastal villages like Boulmer and Craster where they have the dark pink and white varieties. I often meant to get myself a rooted cutting but never got around to it and then last year I noticed one growing in a container in our courtyard....haven't a clue where it came from! So I carefully uprooted it and planted it in a corner of the flowerbed and it seemed happy enough and gave me some flowers and grew a bit bigger. It's still there so I'm going to just leave it for now. The soil in my flowerbed is VERY rich if the sizes my plants grew to is any measure Lord knows what the previous tenant put in it!

I've never started it from seed - I tend to just dig up small self-rooted stuff and just dig a hole, plonk it in and cover it up....and make sure it gets a good watering until it's showing signs of new growth
        If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
          I sowed hollyhock on 27 January indoors and there's no sign of them. Do you think there's any hope?
          I sowed some in the autumn and had a few, about two-thirds, germinate within a week and they've wintered as young plants (about 4 inches tall) in the polytunnel. I potted them into bigger pots this week and they're starting to grow ok BUT....during the winter I also had a couple germinate and they're just sending out their second leaves now so whether hollyhocks can take time to germinate I don't know Perhaps sow another batch (just in case the original batch have rotted away or otherwise failed) now that the days are getting longer and, hopefully, warmer? I sowed another 15 Giant Single Mixed on Tuesday this week and they're in a propagator in the greenhouse.
          Last edited by Gillykat; 28-02-2016, 10:50 AM.
          If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Sowed the first of my flowers today.
            First to be sown, and my favourite are the Dahlias.
            Always some pleasant surprises among them.
            these are my own saved seed which I collect every year.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Popped up to the allotment this morning to check things over and one of my Hollyhocks (sown on Tuesday 23rd February) has germinated They're in an unheated greenhouse but in individual modules underneath a plastic propagator lid to give extra heat/protection.

Comment

Today I sowed, in various pots and trays:

Dahlia "Cactus"
                Gazania (collected seed)
                Nasturtium "Tom Thumb"
                Sunflower "Giant Yellow"
                Cornflower "Blue Ball"
                Nigella "Light Blue"

Then I pricked out some Schizanthus into modules (sown on 18th Feb).
                My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Today I sowed in trays to go on the windowsills at home:

Yarrow (flowerburst lilac shades)
                  Poppy (iceland)
                  Cosmos (sesarion mixed)

Also potted up some Dalhlia tubers in the greenhouse.

Comment

I was going to sow some self saved aquilegia today, but when I goggled for a bit of advice, found they need 3 - 6 weeks chilling first

So they are in the fridge and I shall have to
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

Sowed two lots of dwarf cosmos today - dwarf meaning they should only grow two feet tall instead of three or so. Antiquity, which is a lovely dark pink, and mixed sensation, which are, yes, mixed colours
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

Sowed some petunias today,they're under my fish tank lights where it's bright & warm,I forgot to turn the light off last night,none of the seedlings minded though also sowed a tray of French marigold seeds,they're on the bathroom windowsill.

Comment

Both lots of cosmos I sowed on 12th March are up already! Two days only. I like cosmos even more now
                          Endless wonder.

Comment

Today only 2 varieties sown.
                            Buddleia davidii
                            Roses ( unknown, we will find out if they germinate)

Comment

The Sweet Peas that were on the cover of Gardeners World magazine were sown on 24th February and I had two germinating today My Borage has germinated almost 100% (48 sown on 23rd February and currently got 45 seedlings!); ditto my Hollyhocks

Planning to get some hardy and half-hardies sown this weekend as I'm on short shifts until Wednesday (off Friday, 5.30am - 8.30am Saturday, Sunday & Monday and off again on Tuesday!) and I want to get a lot done on the plot

Comment

Today's flowers sown
                                Stock
                                Viola crown mix
                                Petunia bedding mix
                                Zinnia sunbow mix
                                Candytuft fairy mix
                                Dahlia coltness hybrids mixed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts