No announcement yet.

The Flower Seed Sowing Thread 2015 - 2018

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the seeds sown other than the Morning Glory and Poppies have started to emerge I never lose that wee pang of excitement when I see my first seedlings!
    If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

sown these last week in an unheated green house a few dahlias have just sprouted thought that was fast no sign of the others yet

sweet peas mixed

Dahlia Sunshine

Dahlia pompom

sun flowers

zinnia

Astor's

i have grown dahlia sunshine from seed before they seemed very easy but not the pompom or cactus type do these flower in the first year or do you have to wait for the second year i have only had these in tuber form before

Comment

Originally posted by weed View Post
        i have grown dahlia sunshine from seed before they seemed very easy but not the pompom or cactus type do these flower in the first year or do you have to wait for the second year i have only had these in tuber form before
        They grow really quickly and will all flower this year while making a little tuber for you to save for next year. Make sure you mark the best plants because they won't all be equal!
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

thank you i will be of to the shops tomorrow cactus ones are my favourite i just thought as they where so fancy they where hard from seed i will post the results in late summer

Comment

My cerinthe seeds are up at last - it's only taken a month! I was beginning to think thay wouldn't grow, but I'm glad they have, they were VSP seeds from WPG -
            Cheers WPG

Still waiting on the cosmos, but that was old seed, no oregano yet, and only one verbascum, (but from one I can hopefully get zillions of seeds for next year )
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

This sunny afternoon I've sown the following seeds:
              Morning Glory - sky lack & Grandpa Otts
              Nasturtium
              Dahlia mixed
              Mesembryanthemum - living stone mixed.

I was wondering how many of each seeds do people sown?
              I never know I've sown to many or too few.
              Last edited by NatalieCooke; 09-04-2015, 10:03 PM.
              @thecluelessgardener

Comment

So far this year I have planted a plum stone. Sunday I will be planting some seeds so I will post on Sunday evening what I have planted.
                The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
                A weed is just a flower in the wrong place.

Comment

Today I sowed Sweet Williams, Wallflowers, Aquilegia, Lupins and Feverfew in trays and pots.
                  My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                  Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                    Still waiting on the cosmos, but that was old seed....
                    No show on the cosmos, so I thought, empty pot, sow some catmint in it, today, blow me, I noticed 3 cosmos seedlings have come up. Obviously they needed to be companion planted!
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

Sowed a whole bunch of stuff in April in pots outside, that are just starting to show, including cornflower, sweet rocket, melilot, loosestrife, stocks night scented and 12 week, chamomile, and more borage.
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

Picking up on this thread " Flower Seed Sowing"
                        How did everyones flowers turn out.
                        Were they a success.?
                        Do you have any Pics.?

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                          Picking up on this thread " Flower Seed Sowing"
                          How did everyones flowers turn out.
                          Were they a success.?
                          Do you have any Pics.?
                          I got my very first allotment last year and after 40+ years of only growing flowers I attempted a few vegetables. The plot was still mostly flowers mind and the big bed beside the gate wasn't too bad

I grew a mish-mash of Californian Poppies, Poached Egg Plant, Dahlia 'Arabian Night', Catmint, Calendula, Verbena bonariensis, Heliopsis, Lupins, Valerian, Crocosmia, Dutch Iris, Sweet Peas, Nasturtiums, Virginia Stock, Candytuft, Nigella, sunflower 'Mongolian Giant', Cosmos, Clary Sage (which I'm sure came from a packet marked Zinnias?) and fuchsias. The flower bed looked great until mid-August then bits started to go over so this year I'll make sure I have stuff in that blooms later in the summer too.

Attached Files
                          If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Perhaps we should start a Seed Sowing Thread 2016?

I sowed Borage and Hollyhock yesterday and two varieties of Sweet Pea today

Comment

My mum used to grow clary sage for drying to make dried flower pictures (back in the seventies). It's really quite pretty, maybe I'll try some this year.
                              Endless wonder.

Comment

As for valerian, the blooming stuff seems to sprout in every garden wall and pavement crack all over the village, but I can't get it to grow for love nor money. Got any tips Gilly? Is my soil too rich, do you think?
                                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X