No announcement yet.

The Flower Seed Sowing Thread 2015 - 2018

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the hump about summin and ended up sowing another 10 trays (I also bought some more seeds I needed the therapy ). Can't fit much more in.

Gomphrena
    Didiscus - Lacy Mix
    Nigella - Transformer
    Perennial Teasel
    Aster - Milady Mix
    Venidium - Zulu Mix
    Strawflower - White
    orach - red plume
    amaranth - pony tails
    clary - blue leaved

Comment

• cress

yep, I am on the right thread. It was strange sowing this in cells to get proper plants. Only time will tell if I will regret it.

Comment

• Just sowed some Sunflower, Scabious and Mesum...........Mesem..........Livingstone Daisies

Comment

• Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
          Popped into the GC for some vermiculite and came out with a packet of lupin seeds too, and some of those cardboardy fibre type pots to try. Gosh they were a bit flimsy when I'd filled them with compost, sowed the seeds and watered them. But I'm trying out ways of not using plastic pots. I reckon egg boxes are sturdier.
          Forgot to say, what I sowed was annual lupin - should flower this year. They came up in 3 days so went outside so they grow up tough. No sissies in my plot!
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

• I love native wild flowers and one that likes my soil is Ox eyed daisy, sowed half a tray to fill in some gaps.

Comment

• Also forgot to say I've planted some Sweetpeas in a hanging basket, curious to know how they'll do(I have also planted some garden peas in another one).

Comment

• Originally posted by burnie View Post
                Also forgot to say I've planted some Sweetpeas in a hanging basket, curious to know how they'll do.
                Nice idea! I've got some spare sweetpea plants and nowhere to put them. Hopefully they will grow both downwards and upwards.
                My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                  Forgot to say, what I sowed was annual lupin - should flower this year. They came up in 3 days so went outside so they grow up tough. No sissies in my plot!
                  Is there a variety name? I haven't heard of annual lupins

Sowed annual foxglove - dalmation peach

Comment

• Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                    Neither had I till this year but I saw them in the GC and since they are a short growing variety - 16" - I decided I was having them. Super fast germination with them as well. variety Pixie Delight from Mr Fothergills. The seed packet says seedlings normally appear in 14 -28 days so I was very surprised to see them after 3 days.

Comment

• Sunflowers and nasturtiums.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                        They are T&M, which I seldom buy as I have poor germination rates from their seeds, but I saw them in a GC and liked the look of them. Impulse buying again....

They are called "Avalune mixed" - a hardy dwarf annual lupin with bicolour flowers. 20 seeds in the packet, 11 have germinated. I'm hoping I can save seeds from them for next year.

Aha! A search reveals that Mr F sells them too Lupin Avalune Bicolour Mix from Mr Fothergills Seeds

edit - darn it, there are 30 seeds in his packet, and I bet they all germinate too. Wish I'd seen them first.
                        Last edited by mothhawk; 14-04-2018, 06:37 PM.
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

• Sowed echium, 2 lots of aquilegia, scarlet flax, blue flax, phlox, alyssum, Californian poppy, and nigella.
                          Endless wonder.

Comment

• Primula denticulata do well here, would say better than daffs for display over year so sowed 100 seeds, 5 seeds approx (as hard to see) into 20 x 7.5cm pots with MPC firmly pressed down & soaked, then sprinkled seeds on top and lightly rubbed soil to cover. Put on trays and covered in cling film in a spot indoors that ranges 14c to 19c roughly and is semi light.
                            Does the above sound correct or should anything be changed please ?

Comment

• Primulas need light on the seeds to germinate them. I generally sprinkle the seeds on the surface of compost and then sprinkle thin layer of vermiculite over them and enclose the pot in a plastic bag or put under a prop lid. Once watered, the vermiculite keeps them moist but lets the light through.
                              Endless wonder.

Comment

• Thank you for the reply mothhawk, I have them in the garage (temperature less variable) next to a window for light, does that sound about right ? The seed has swollen, I can now easily see them

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X