aquilegas again

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aquilegas again

iv just been babysitting for someone and saw some really beautiful doubles that are almost black. first i wanted to ask how i know when teh seed is ready. can i cut the stems with seed pods on before they dry out or do i have to wait? if the seed is black is that ok even if the pods arent dry? secondly, i realise they might not come true from seed so is it possible to take basal cuttings from them or root cuttings?

If the seed is black I'd chance it.
    But when the top of the "pod" starts to open is best time.
    Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
    Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
    I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

I've just bought a black and white one - called William Guiness - just like a pint of the black stuff! I hope they come true to seed because I'm going to have a go with them.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

how about propagating from the plant so i can be sure of getting the same one? is it possible?

Comment

You can dig up and split them, but it is a risky shot and they often only have two growth points. Named ones like that often do come true (ish) from seed, otherwise they could not be named really.

Comment

Having tried to dig up established aquilegias I found they have a huge taproot - I'd not feel confident of even trying to move one, let alone divide it.
            Last edited by Flummery; 10-06-2007, 07:33 PM.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

thanks. the lady whos garden i found them in is moving in august and has said i can dig up what i want from the garden. i will get some seed but il definately give digging the plants up a go, nothing to lose really.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X