help with calla lily

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with calla lily

When we first moved into our house , the first summer we had wonderful Lillie's come up on this plant... The past 2 years its just been foliage... Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Hope this helps Kerry:

Make Calla Lilies Bloom
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks for that.... I findit very odd though as plant hasn't changed position nor is it stunted so lack of light/water don't match BUT we didn't use fertiliser the first year we were here & it bloomed fine.it also hadn't got brown edges to the leaves.... Do you think next year we should try adding phosphorus fertiliser then going off that link?

Comment

Sorry I can't give personal advice as I have not grown any for a long time. Your plant does look very healthy, can you remember when they flowered last year as there may still be time. I would be tempted to maybe give it a potassium feed. Maybe comfrey if you can get any.
        Last edited by Bigmallly; 26-05-2014, 10:45 PM.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Sorry to sound thick but what would I do with the comfrey? There is loads of it on the allotment next to ours that has been abandoned (we've only had our allotment a month)

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

If you want to wait a couple of weeks you could put some in a bucket of water then use it as a liquid feed. If you don't want to wait, chop it up & use it as a mulch.

Comment

Originally posted by kerryp View Post
              what would I do with the comfrey? There is loads of it on the allotment
              Chop the leaves, just roughly, and leave them on the soil as a mulch and slow-release hi-potash feed.

Is yours white flowered? It's arum lily.

I have zantedeschias in my north facing garden, they're never watered or fed, and flower proliferously every year.
              Bear in mind that hi-nitrogen feeds will give lush green foliage at the expense of flowers
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for that folks. I've started making some comfrey liquid now in tubs at the allotment... Hopefully next yr we'll have flowers again

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  Sorry I can't give personal advice as I have not grown any for a long time. Your plant does look very healthy, can you remember when they flowered last year as there may still be time. I would be tempted to maybe give it a potassium feed. Maybe comfrey if you can get any.
                  I think this calla is having far too good a life. lol No wonder it cant be bothered to flower. Many plants need to be stressed a bit to flower. Cold temperatures usually do the trick as well as a high potash feed. My neighbour has two huge plants (about 3ft across!) in the front that flower magnificently every year. He only gives it a potash feed during the warm months of the year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X