Perenial Plugs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perenial Plugs

Anyone know where you can buy perennial plug plants? Trying to fill a new border on a budget.

I got the Thompson and morgan mix on offer last year and they've grown lovely but I can't find anywhere that does mixes it all seems to be sets of six of the same variety. I'd rather have one of each and grow them on/split them to create more.

Thanks!

Have you looked at J Parkers. Some of theirs are packs of 6 but some are only 3. Quite a few perennials are easy to grow from seed. Could you ask family and neighbours for piece off their plants? I know what you mean about quantities sometime I look at offer and think who has the space for 24 large plants of the same variety. Or do you know someone in the same situation you could order and have half each. My neighbour and I did that a few times.
    Last edited by WendyC; 23-05-2014, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Tamsin - I got an email this morning from Unwins, they're doing a buy one (pack of 9 perennial plugs) and get another pack free. I also got a code for 20% off over the bank holiday weekend, its EBHOFF ( I don't know if the code applies with the buy one get one free offer)
      Here's the range of perennials if you're interested ( I've never bought from them, so can't vouch for the quality)
      Buy First Year Flowering Perennials | Unwins Seeds

Comment

I don't buy them but do the likes of B&Q, Homebase, Aldi, Lidl sell them
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

why do you want plug plants, rather than seeds? Seed is cheaper and you have more choice.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas JParker had some mixed ones I've just ordered £4.99 for 12

I'd be happy to grow from seed but I'm not sure it would work out cheaper when it's £2-3 per packet and you get one variety/colour. That's still 50p-£1 per plant unless you want a lot of the same thing which isn't much different price wise to plugs.

It's for my sister, she got one of those long terrace gardens and the new bed is going to be about 12m long! I've already plundered my garden for cutting/seeds - it's been quite fun trying different things I've got little baby heucheras that surprised me being so easy to germinate.

Comment

I've ordered 72plug plants from Van Meuwan for £16, have to wait till end of June though.
              Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

That will give you time to pot them up and grow them on for planting out in the Autumn or next Spring. If you can bear to if you remove any flowers you'll end up with bigger plants for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by tamsin View Post
                  I'd be happy to grow from seed but I'm not sure it would work out cheaper
                  19 species, £1.99

12 species (plugs), £19.99

5 from Suttons, £5

There's not a huge choice of seed mixes for perennials, to be sure. Don't you want annuals? Left to self-seed, they'll come back every year too:

loads, for 99p
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks that mixed cottage garden seeds looks promising!

I've annual seeds coming out of my ears - I knew my icecream tub full would come in handy

Comment

Ive grown so many perennials from seed that ive lost count. Delphiniums, Gaillardia, Agastache, Verbascum, Campanula, Aqualegia, Silene, papaver, Veronica to name a new.....here's a photo of seed grown plants sown 3 years ago

Please visit my facebook page for the garden i look after

https://www.facebook.com/PrestonRockGarden

Comment

Just go through the list. Many species can be sown now to flower next year

Buy Perennial Plants & Biennial Plants - Order Online | Thompson & Morgan
                        Please visit my facebook page for the garden i look after

https://www.facebook.com/PrestonRockGarden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X