White foxgloves

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White foxgloves

I planted white foxglove seeds last year and as this is their second year they are at this very minute flowering and looking majestic. My question is, if I collect the seed from these plants will I get white foxgloves again or does the seed revert to other colours? Thanks to those who can advise.

They will revert to the deep pink but worth a try. I have anything from white to deep pink. You could cut of the flower spike when it has faded and you may get another years worth of flower from them. The spikes won't be as big as they are this year but you will get more smaller spikes.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I have pink ones and white ones that self seed all over. Alternate years I get either mostly white or mostly pink, so some white seeds must come up white again. It depends on the cross-pollination I think. If you have pink ones close then it's more likely you'll get some pink seedlings from your white 'gloves, 'cos pink is the dominant colour.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

Thanks to both of you. When you say pink do you mean pink or the light purple most foxgloves are?

Comment

The colour of wild foxgloves, deep pink or light purple what ever you like to call it.
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

You will probably get a mixture of colours, especially if there are any standard pink ones in the vicinity.

But as the young plants grow you can generally tell what colour the flowers are going to be by looking closely at the leaf stalks. If there's any pink on them the flowers will be pink.

I use this technique to rearrange the plants in autumn or early spring so that the white ones are in the right place.

If you don't want any pink ones at all, just throw those ones into the compost and keep only the ones without even a hint of pink in the leaves and stems.
            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by cheops View Post
              will I get white foxgloves again or does the seed revert to other colours?
              some will come out pink. I always pull out my pink ones immediately, leaving only the white to get pollinated and make seed. I'd say I only get 5% of them coming out pink
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X