Red Beatles on my lillies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Beatles on my lillies

Hi all are these red Beatles good or bad for my lillies ??

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
    Attached Files

Really , really bad.

Best thing to do now for the next few days/weeks it to check them out regularly and collect every one you see.
    The are lily beetles and their grubs will strip the leaves in a matter of days.

Bet way to collect them is with a bowl held beneath them with some water (so they don't get out straight away ) because as you move the plant or touch them they play dead by dropping to the floor.
    Any you miss will just climb back up again and lay their eggs.

The eggs are held within a black mush stuck onto the plant. These also need removing asap.

What you do with your collected insects is up to you, but as far as I am aware they only feed on lillies and will find their way back to either the same plant or someone else's where they will try and lay eggs again.

good luck!
    Last edited by Nicos; 18-05-2014, 02:01 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hmm, I squish mine the minute I see them.

Comment

If you look carefully on the underside of the leaves you may find the eggs. A bit like a caterpillar egg but rusty brown in colour then you can get them before they turn into the disgusting grubs. The grubs start on the ends of the leaves and tend to be on the underside, so look for damage there first.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Hmm, I squish mine the minute I see them.
          Satisfying crunch isn't it!!!!!
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Never managed to crunch one with my fingers,
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Ok thanks i will destroy them humanely ie feed them to the birds looked under leafs and found some eggs. Squish

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Roeder1969 View Post
                i will destroy them humanely ie feed them to the birds
                birds won't eat them, not even my greedy fish will eat them.

and anyway the beetles have wings, they'll just fly off the birdtable
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I found one on my lillies yesterday, which is the first time I've encountered them, it was quickly squashed (after I managed to find it in the compost after it dropped). I'll have to go back and look for any eggs. I'm blaming the very mild winter we've had because I'm also being over run with every kind of aphid you can imagine!

Comment

They attack fritillaries too.Horrible things.I picked so many off my lilies one year I am afraid I eventually used a systemic anti bug spray.
                    One thing I have found odd though,is the bright colour. I assume it's to warn predators not to eat them but it does mean they can be very easily spotted!
                    Last edited by Ja9; 20-05-2014, 05:31 AM.
                    Gardening forever, housework whenever!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X