When to cut down daffs?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to cut down daffs?

Hello all. I've been reading that you shouldn't cut down daffs until the leaves turn brown and fall over themselves. There is a problem for me with this though. I have lots of daffs at the back of the lawn and along the verges of the drive and although the flowers have gone the leaves are a long way off dying down. Problem is that the grass is getting really long around them and it's not only looking scruffy but it's going to be impossible to mow. I want a lush display again next year but if I mow over them now will they be ok? ThAnks for any help. 😳

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
    Sanity is for those with no grasp of reality

They need to be left till the leaves fall over, so that they can build up bulbs for next year. I usually leave them alone, and use a strimmer when the finally go to bring the lawn back.
    Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Once they finish flowering they put their energy back into the root which is why its best not to cut down until the start to wither. Are you able to strim around them for the time being?
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

We usually allow 3 months after flowering before we mow any of our naturalised bulbs
        Please visit my facebook page for the garden i look after

https://www.facebook.com/PrestonRockGarden

Comment

Best to move the bulbs, for next year, if they are in the way of where you want a nice lawn. Alternately replace them with really early flowering varieties.

I'm not sure about 3 months as I thought 8 weeks post-flowering was enough - but either way leaving them until the foliage has all gone brown is what they really need.

Taking off the flower heads ("dead heading") will help, as it will stop the plant wasting energy producing seeds. I don't know if that will make them die down earlier? but I think it is likely to divert energy to the bulb sooner (and ordinarily for longer) so if you have to chop them down early then they will have put more energy into next year's bulb.

In dry summers my area of naturalised bulbs just looks brown, after cutting down the shaggy grass, for ages, but I only have the bulbs in areas where that isn't a problem. I mow a nice tidy strip just in front of the shaggy mess, which makes it look "deliberate" at least. If some bulbs get in the way of making that tidy mown strip they get moved - or mown!
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Thanks all for that. I'm having a rethink and feel a strimmer is in order. However, a large chunk have already been mowed over. Does this mean they won't flower next year? They would be very difficult to dig up and move unfortunately otherwise that is what I think I'd do. Gardening - just when you think you're safe, something else pops up for you to learn.

Comment

Try feeding the decapitated ones to substitute the missing leaves.

What with you ask?"

...no idea!

Just a thought...probably an all purpose feed unless someone else suggests something better???
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                I thought 8 weeks post-flowering was enough
                whereas I use the 6 week rule

Originally posted by robmarston View Post
                a large chunk have already been mowed over. Does this mean they won't flower next year?
                As you know by now, the leaves produce the energy (from the sun) that bulk up the bulb (which is a storage vessel) so it can flower next year.
                If you remove those leaves straight after flowering ... the bulb has no energy to flower again (you might get away with it one time, but don't make a habit of it).

I wouldn't plant daffs in isolation, myself. They are in a mixed border, so the dying leaves are hidden by new flowers off other things (at the moment bluebells and tulips)
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have a mass planting unfortunately which I will leave but I won't plant them like that again. I was given a pot of daffs which I had already decided to put in a bed for the reason you mention. The mass planted ones stopped flowering about 3/4 weeks ago so I might get away with it but I think I will feed the bulbs now. So the next question is what's the best thing to feed them with and how often? Would a bog standard slow release sprinkled once suffice?

Comment

Does this mean they won't flower next year?
                    If they do it won't be as well as they could. If they don't they will come up "blind" (just leaves). If they are "in the way" you need to do something about them - even if it is just cutting them down every year from now on until they snuff-it, otherwise every year you will be cursing the mess that the lawn looks ...

I think I will feed the bulbs now. So the next question is what's the best thing to feed them with and how often? Would a bog standard slow release sprinkled once suffice?
                    They need Potash to build up the bulbs. I think it is too late if the leaves have already been cut down ?? but a liquid Tomato feed would be the "fastest acting" Potash you could use. In future years you can apply Potash as granule, or as a liquid feed.
                    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X