Trailing Sunflowers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailing Sunflowers

I have acquired some trailing sunflowers, the plants are about 10-15cm tall, I noticed that some of them already have flower heads on what looks like the main growing point. Are these likely to stop the plants growing? Should I nip them off?

I always think flowers are a nice idea but really I'm not up to anything that isn't a type of marigold or cerinthe!
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Hi marchogaeth, I haven't grown trailing sunflowers before however I do know that standard sunflowers do usually send of secondary shoots at the leaf joints which I presume these will too, however I can't see that nipping the main flower head out would benefit the plants. May I ask how big they are?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt94 View Post
      May I ask how big they are?
      Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
      ..... the plants are about 10-15cm tall, ....
      I had a close look (ie wore lenses!) and I think there are signs of side shoots so I will wait and see.
      "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
        flowers are a nice idea but really I'm not up to anything that isn't a type of marigold or cerinthe
        Stick to hardy annuals then: just sow them, plant them out then forget about them. Let them self-seed every year after that
        You could add scabious, myosotis, limnanthes to your repertoire until you find your feet
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 15-04-2014, 05:42 PM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X