Question about spacing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about spacing

I'm currently planning my pots and hanging baskets and working out how many plants I will need for each. The spacings on the seed packets vary, for example the dahlias say to plant 30cm apart, verbena is 25cm apart. This seems quite wide to me, I won't get many plants in one pot or basket if I do this. How closely should I follow the instructions?

Thanks!

I reckon the spacings that commercial suppliers advise is playing on the safe side, and you can pinch a bit on most plants. Try to imagine how big the plant is going to get before you start cramming everything in though. Too tight and you risk too much competition for water/nutrients below the surface or competition for sunlight which could lead to stunted growth, plus impeding air flow which can lead to fungal problems and possibly losing plants altogether. Depending on the plant and where you're siting it, you might get away with reducing the spacings by maybe 25% ... some more, some less. You will need to keep a much closer eye on their development and needs though

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply! Trying to imagine how big the plant will get is what I'm struggling with. I currently have some lobelia and begonia seedlings that are tiny, but the final spacing is 15-20 cm apart - I can't imagine them getting to this size! Then again, my tomato plants grew pretty big last year - it never fails to amaze me how such a huge plant can grow from a tiny seed.

Comment

Originally posted by IndigoElectron View Post
        Trying to imagine how big the plant will get is what I'm struggling with.
        You don't need to imagine: just google it

eg, lobelia get to 25cm wide: Lobelia 'Sapphire' - Plants - gardenersworld.com

BUT ... most of the width is going to be hanging over the side, it won't be in the basket itself.

You can cram a lot into a hanging basket, but you'll need to be able to water them twice a day in summer. I've given them up, I just don't have the time for them
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 12-04-2014, 03:57 PM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks TwoSheds. Silly question but this is each plant, right? I.e. the seedling from a single lobelia seed will grow into a plant that is 25 cm wide?

Comment

Yes, eventually, and given optimal conditions. But because most of the plant is hanging over the side, you can plant them closer than 25cm apart.

"A general rule of thumb when planting a hanging basket is to use one plant per inch of basket diameter - so 12 plants per 30cm (12") hanging basket."

How many plants do I need in a hanging basket or container? | Thompson & Morgan
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks Two Sheds. I've seen that article but wasn't sure if it meant 12 plants in the top of the basket or if it included the sides. Thinking about it, it seems obvious that it must include the sides, but it would help if it said how many in the top and how many in the sides. For the benefit of those of us who know nothing, of course :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X