The Cutting Garden Flower Challenge 2014

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cutting Garden Flower Challenge 2014

A new Challenge - to pick flowers from the garden every week of the year.
    Would you like to join in?
    Show us a photo of your flowers and name the flowers in it.
    Inspire us to grow flowers all year round

Great idea VC. I probably won't be able to join in though - I don't really "do" flowers. I am looking forward to seeing everyone else's though
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Hmm.... flowers for picking every week of the year - that's a doozie

At the moment we have flowering:- Primula & Pansy - photos to follow

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
        Great idea VC. I probably won't be able to join in though - I don't really "do" flowers. I am looking forward to seeing everyone else's though
        I don't either, Scarey I prefer to see the flowers growing in the garden than pick them!
        ! This year, I'm going to grow some - just for picking - so that I don't guilty about it

Comment

7th March

Daffodils and foliage

Attached Files

Comment

I don't like cutting flowers from the garden, unless they are infested with greenfly, then I seriously get it in the neck for bringing them indoors.

I can almost hear them screaming when I get close with the scissors.......Ahhhhhh.

I will take a piccie of whats growing instead.

Attached Files
            Last edited by Mikey; 07-03-2014, 02:34 PM.
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Same here - if I manage to get them to grow I really don't like picking them, I want them to flower as long as possible. The only exception is sweet peas, which I grow specifically for cutting, and which bloom more prolifically for being harvested. I'll post some 'growing flowers' pics though.
              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
              Endless wonder.

Comment

This week daffodils, purple violets, primroses, snowdrops. Picked just few for a bud vase for daughter. No photo though.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  I don't either, Scarey I prefer to see the flowers growing in the garden than pick them!
                  ! This year, I'm going to grow some - just for picking - so that I don't guilty about it
                  I don't like to pick my flowers either well apart from sweet peas I love how they smell indoors.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                    I don't like cutting flowers from the garden, unless they are infested with greenfly, then I seriously get it in the neck for bringing them indoors.

I can almost hear them screaming when I get close with the scissors.......Ahhhhhh.

I will take a piccie of whats growing instead.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43072[/ATTACH]
                    Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                    Same here - if I manage to get them to grow I really don't like picking them, I want them to flower as long as possible. The only exception is sweet peas, which I grow specifically for cutting, and which bloom more prolifically for being harvested. I'll post some 'growing flowers' pics though.
                    Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                    I don't like to pick my flowers either well apart from sweet peas I love how they smell indoors.
                    We're a blimmin' soft old lot aren't we
                    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

If I had a garden large enough to grow lots of flowers, I'd pick some to have indoors, I love flowers indoors. Am attempting to grow more on allotment this year in addition to sweet peas, they are already planted out on plot, no point them being beautiful up on plot, I like to see and smell them indoors. Oh, I do like them for the bees of course. If I had roses growing I'd cut 1 or 2, to have indoors where I can enjoy it more.
                      DottyR

Comment

I've just pricked out 92 Salvia & 50 Callendulae...........wonder if I can make a display........
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Like many others I don't often cut as I enjoy the flowers in my garden. I'm so proud of them for growing so well I don't want to hurt them. Look at the pic and tell me, could you cut that little beauty?

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
                          Attached Files
                          Sanity is for those with no grasp of reality

Comment

It's really beautiful, super colour, and yes I cud cut it, bring it inside and continue to look at it.
                            DottyR

Comment

Sorry not got photos of all of it, but today I have:

Feb Gold daffs, crimson clover (green manure, pic below), 1 wallflower, anemone, hellebore, primula, the snowdrops are just finished, and a couple of grape hyacinths in flower, plus I'll leave a few of the red deadnettle & speedwells for the bees.

and a pink pelargonium in the cold greenhouse that's been flowering since June 2013

Attached Files
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 08-03-2014, 05:55 PM.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X