No announcement yet.

ID Parade

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call it what you want Nick, but the native bluebell is at serious risk from it, so as far I'm concerned, it's a bloody weed !
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

From www.rampantscotland.com/let030426.htm

Bluebells of Scotland Threatened
      According to Plantlife Scotland, the native bluebell, one of Scotland's emblematic flowers, is under threat both from unscrupulous bulb collectors and from a Spanish variety which is infiltrating many woodlands. The Spanish variety is the one most commonly sold in garden centres and it is also spreading into the wild. Climate change and destruction of woodland habitat is also a threat. The charity is to undertake a survey to measure the extent to which the indigenous variety is being pushed out.

So there you have it, destroy all invaders!
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Thanks ntg, I will keep pulling all the ones in the garden up!
        www.poultrychat.com

Comment

The great debate

Thanks guys... The colour is the same as the native bluebell in my garden but certainly doesn't look like it.... and does look a lot like the spanish one...

Nicos, do you have a photo of your hyacinths that are changing? (p.s. naturalising is when a flower is in conditions it likes and so quickly divides/spreads... something I hope my snakehead frittila do!)

The only thing I'm still puzzled about on the bluebell front is that I only have two (one last year). Knowing the spanish bluebell and grape hyacyth (plenty of those I'm afraid) the spread like wildfire, so why had this one not...?
          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Oh, and thanks Rat, googled Ribes and it looks like the Ribes sanguineum...?
            Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Hi Shortie,
              SNAP! I've got exactly the same plant in my garden. It's definitely not a Spanish bluebell as ours are strongly scented & the Spanish ones have no scent & are wishy-washy pale lilac, blue, pink or white in colour. It's not a native bluebell as the leaves are much broader on ours & the plants are 'chunkier' as Nicos says. I'm certain mine is a hyacinth because I planted out a couple of bulbs which I had grown indoors in 2 glass bulb vases a few years ago.Nothing appeared the first year or if it did it didn't flower & I forgot about them but last year this pretty blue flower appeared & apparently when you plant the forced bulbs out they do revert to a more natural, looser flower form like this.
              Attached Files
              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

SueA -that's much like mine!.....how come mine are just pushing their leaves and yours are in flower??? Glad you managed the photo! I wonder if the bulb sizes would be bigger than that of the spanish bluebell? Might be another way to tell the difference.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Cheers for the phot SueA... I'm settled then, they're hyacinth's.
                  Shortie

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief
                    Here are the two for you to compare.

Spanish on the left (not very good colour I'm afraid)

[ATTACH]85[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]86[/ATTACH]

I think your's look like the spanish job
                    I thought I had the real thing - Scottish bluebells. But your photo nick means I have a garden full of the Spanish ones. And I thought we were too far north to have been infiltrated.
                    ~
                    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos
                      SueA -that's much like mine!.....how come mine are just pushing their leaves and yours are in flower??? Glad you managed the photo! I wonder if the bulb sizes would be bigger than that of the spanish bluebell? Might be another way to tell the difference.
                      Hi Nicos,
                      The one which is in flower is actually growing in a large barrel in a fairly sheltered spot in my south facing back garden so that's probably why it's in flower already. It's been a bit weird this spring though with some plants flowering late & some early.
                      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X