Should I prune my Dwarf Buddleias?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I prune my Dwarf Buddleias?

I have some Dwarf Buddleias in my garden which grew beautifully during this, their first season with me, and am now wondering whether I should prune them for next year. I'm assuming this would be around early March next year and not now, but do I simply assume I carry out pruning in the same way as I would with standard bushes?

Any advice offered would be very gratefully received...

This weekend I have trimmed my dwarfs down to about 6-12 inches. I did this last year too and they grew brilliantly this year so fingers grossed for even better growth next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

I'd wait til March. If we get a cold winter the dormant buds will have a bit of protection. Prune to two or three buds then if the new shoots get frosted there will be a bud further down the stem to grow in their place.

Comment

Right! (To both answers)... Time, I think, to put the kettle on and have a think (or two, or three)...

Comment

I've cut a bit off my buddleja Buzz, just to stop it flapping around in the wind. Then I'll cut them back properly at the end of winter

Comment

Originally posted by Herbsandveg View Post
            around early March ...?
            If they're likely to suffer wind rock from winter gales, then chop off a third now.

Then do the proper, tidying up prune in the spring as planned
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X