White sunflower seed question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White sunflower seed question

Hi all. I posted a photo of my multi headed sunflower a couple of weeks ago. I'm now in the process of collecting seeds. One of the sunflower bushes is a pale yellow, I've harvested seeds of this one - loads actually. The other sunflower bushes are a deeper yellow, their seeds have been drying on the plant for the same amount of time. The thing is these seeds are white, and not the usual sunflower black, or stripey.
    Does anyone know if they'll stay white?
    I've pulled a head off today to have a harvest of the seeds, you can crack them open to get to the kernel inside and they are hard on the outside, but don't show any signs of colouring.
    (I'm sending a load of these to the virtual seed swap by the way if any one wants any)
    You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

I've got some seeds I saved last year and they haven't lost their white colour.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Sunflower seeds come in all combinations from white to black, stripey, brown, etc. The colour they are when you harvest them is the colour they will stay.

Comment

Brilliant! I've only ever had black or stripey, so was not sure at all. I literally have millions - they are going off to the virtual seed swap if you need any
        You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

I only give white sunflowers to my African Grey (they're supposedly a bit lower in fat). I planted ALL white sunflower seeds in the garden, but the ones that've grown into sunflowers have all turned back to stripy seeds
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X