dahlia's

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dahlia's

bought 3 dahlia 'bishop of llanduff' tubers, they're sitting in a paperbag in the garage - what do I do with them?
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Start them off in damp compost in the greenhouse and when the sgoots appear and all risk of frost has passed plant them out.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hello Smallblueplanet, If it's Dahlias you're after they are very easy from seed. I grow mine every year and plant them out near end of May when risk of frost has passed. I never lift the tubers and about 50% make it through the winter. You could give it a try.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet

bought 3 dahlia 'bishop of llanduff' tubers, they're sitting in a paperbag in the garage - what do I do with them?
        I got some last week, cheap from Parkers Bulbs & have potted them up in pots of compost so that the tops are just below the surface. I'm keeping them indoors until they show signs of life then will put them outdoors in the plastic greenhouse to harden off before planting them up in a large patio container. You can plant them out in the ground after the frosts or put them in containers or you can take cuttings from them once the shoots start sprouting 3ins or so to increase your stock. I don't leave dahlias in the ground overwinter here as it's too cold but dig them up & store them in vermiculite & peat in newspaper.You can leave them in the ground in some areas if you mulch around them well with leaves, bark , compost etc.
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

You can pot them up SBP or if you want more than three set them on a tray of compost & water them then you'll get shoots from the base of the tuber. Treat them like the fuchsias & the shoots will root. You need half compost & half sharp sand (or perlite), cover the tray with a lid or put them in a pot & put a plastic bag over it (clear plastic) rooted in 2-3 weeks no probs.
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Oh nick, if i treat them like fuchsias then I'll keep them too moist, and so far 3 out of 7 have rotted!!! :-(

But I will get them into compost now.

Alice - might try some others as I like growing seeds, especially if you get results 1st year. Although we've got some baby acer palmatum's coming thru now and they might take a while longer! But they already just have 'cute' mapley leaves! :-)
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X