Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eager beaver!!! when or should I pick the cerinthe flower.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eager beaver!!! when or should I pick the cerinthe flower.

Ive spotted 2 seeds on my cerinthe flower when do I pick????

Im wanting to sow them asap as I love this flower but I dont want to pick them to early for it to not grow.

Any ideas?
    If you want to view paradise
    Simply look around and view it.

They turn black when they're ripe - then fall off very easily - so keep an eye on them

Comment

I leave mine to ripen on the plant. To avoid losing the seeds tie a fine mesh bag over the flower stalk. I grow a few in the poly tunnel so I can just pop a paper bag on the stem. If you don't get any pm me and I'm sure I can find some for you. They seem to love it here.
      "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

ohh I love this flower bush so much, I didnt know what it was at first then one of the lasses on here told me what it was and now itd flowered its my fave in the garden along with the sweet peas. My only wonder though is when I look up pics of the flower on the internet they all have dark purple flowers where mine are a bit purple and white they sort of look faded?

What colour are yours?

Comment

Shades of dark blue/purple but they do fade as they get older and vary depending on where they are growing. If it's definitely Cerinthe I wouldn't worry about the colours just plant it in lots of different places and see what happens.

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Cerinthe flower, when should i pick the seeds.

When should I pick the seeds? loads are brown but still feel readily intact. I pulled one off today and it was still soft inside the seed. anyone got any experience with picking cerinthe seeds ?

Comment

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...wer_74440.html

Comment

If you post a thread it is worth subscribing to it.

Comment

Hmmph well some folks do have short memories so this can happen. . If a nice mod comes along a wee merge and edit might be in order. I stopped sowing cerinthe at least 5 years ago but they still germinate in the border. Great value wee plant

Comment

how do I delete one thread or sub to it?

Comment

Merged...

If you have a look around you might spot seedlings already germinated from self sown seeds; I spotted some today. I am going to dig them up and overwinter them and plant where I want them next year/sell them on.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                        Merged...

If you have a look around you might spot seedlings already germinated from self sown seeds; I spotted some today. I am going to dig them up and overwinter them and plant where I want them next year/sell them on.

I think this year has been particularly good for seeds germinating this side of winter. I have lots in the garden and am having to weed them out of some parts of the poly. They are even growing in the cracks between the bricks that make the bottom of the door frame.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                          Merged...

Unfortunately I pull out anything in the borders that I cant remember planting there, which sometime is such a pain as I have a terrible memory and pull out flower seedlings thinking its a weed, then a few months later I wonder why those egg yolks haven't come through haha.

Comment

Ok So Ive been out hovering round the cerinthe for the past few days trying to see if any of the seeds just fall of but nope

So when Ive rubbed a few I find the seeds that have a purple stem leading to the head thats holding the brown seed just flick off easily, where as the ones with lighter purple stems seem to rip like flesh and dont come away so easy and the ones with the green stem still holds the white seeds that are not ripe.

Just thought Id add it for beginners like me dunno if anyone else has noticed this xx

Comment

You do have to wait until the seeds are black, dry and hard

That goes for nearly everything, no matter what variety. Put your hands in your pockets
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X