Tulip foliage question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tulip foliage question

We planted a bed full of tulips in the autumn (about 50 of the things) and they flowered and looked lovely.

Now, due to the wind and weather amongst other things, the petals have gone and they have died off.

My questions are:

1) Will the bulbs flower next year (like daffodils)
    2) Should I cut the remaining foliage (stalk and leaves) down to ground level, or leave it?

Thanks

OWG

Lots of choices. Best. Leave the foliage to die down naturally and the bulbs will regrow next year with increased stems. Second best. Leave the foliage for about 6 weeks then cut it off, dig up the bulbs, dry. Check for greenfly on the bulbs themselves. Store dark and safe. Replant in Autumn. Even less good, dig up the bulbs, allow the folaige to dry off then store. Worst, cut off the foliage now!
    Last edited by Palustris; 21-05-2007, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Hi OWG,

Best to leave the foliage as Palustris says. However, if you cut the stalk down, the dead flowering heads won't try and put energy into producing seed, but rather put the energy back into the bulb - in theory, producing fatter, healthier bulbs ready for even more flowers next year.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

I often leave the stalks on species tulips because I am happy to get seed and most of our hybrid tulips do not set seed. I suppose dead heading fifty is easy compared to dead heading the 2,000 we had this year!

Comment

Make sure you cut of the top of the stalks, though. There you will find what intends to be a seed head. If you leave this on the plant will use all it's energy trying to set seed instead of feeding the bulb for next year. I leave mine in the ground instead of digging them up and they have been fine. I do leave the leaves to die down naturally

Comment

Originally posted by Palustris View Post
            I often leave the stalks on species tulips because I am happy to get seed and most of our hybrid tulips do not set seed. I suppose dead heading fifty is easy compared to dead heading the 2,000 we had this year!

Good point, and you've given me an idea for spreading a few tulips through my lawn. Love the species tulips but haven't tried them yet - would they seed into lawns okay do you think?

Comment

I've never seen tulips naturalised in a lawn, Birdie Wife. They flower fairly late so you couldn't cut the lawn until well into June, I reckon, By then, 'twould be knee high!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Shame... ! Mind you, I really don't like my lawn and I'd dig it up and plant wildflowers if I had my way. Really just cos I don't like cutting it, but also because it's a particularly scabby, weedy, lumpy lawn which is just horrible anyway.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X