Phlox- advice please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phlox- advice please

Last year my uncle gave me some annual phlox plants. I planted those in a not so sunny border. They didnt like it there at all so I moved them to a spot which gets a lot of sun. Some of the plants did well and some died. I collected seeds from the healthy ones and have grown quite a few plants from those seeds this year.
    I have no idea where to put these this year, in the same sunny border again or try in the partial shade? Do they flower just once and die or do they carry on flowering throughout the summer? Any advice on this will be much appreciated.
    Last edited by tiby; 21-05-2007, 10:51 AM. Reason: forgot to menton annual

Hi Tiby, if you've got loads plant them all over THe ones in the sunny border will need watering if they get baked and it's best to do it in a morning Very early rather than at night as it can get a bit too damp an atmosphere around them.

As too flowers, if you cut the flower off I guess they would throw up some subsiquent spikes but they will be later and smaller I guess - most plants try to reproduce to save the species.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Hello Tiby, Phlox wants a sunny site. I find it does best near walls and paths so maybe it likes the soil slightly alkaline. Think about the ones that did best last year. Was that the case ? Good luck with them this year.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Nick and Alice. I will try to water in the morning, I normally water the borders in the evening and that might be the cause of them not doing so well last year. And those which did flourish and flower last year were next to the path, so this year most of the plants will go in that border.Thanks again, i love this forum for all the help and advice I have had with my flower and veg gardening.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X