Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a plant to be used as privacy cover?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a plant to be used as privacy cover?

We have a side fence which is slightly short of 5 foot and not very private! We have a tree growing, but are now having to trim it back quite a bit as it is too close to the house. This has resulted in less coverage in privacy.

So what we are looking for is something to plant in the corner that will grow thick and fairly tall, but does not have large roots as it is right next to the house. Oh and also likes shade!

Had thought about clematis but think this is a bit too thin coverage wise.

Any suggestions?

Ivy will grow anywhere and might do the job for you. There are some good variegated varieties. Its evergreen and birds like nesting in it . It can be cut to wherever you want it to be. You could do worse Shelle.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Winter flowering Honesuckle can also be quite good - mine is against the north facing house wall. It will twine a little but generally needs to be supported and tied in. If happy it will put on several yards (!) of growth in a season and rewards you with pale flowers with a heady scent in Jan/Feb. The plant is evergreen, but not the usual dark green, quite a pale colour really. I'll just go out with the camera, back in a jiffy!

Terry
      The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

One honeysuckle! The plant is just starting its third year, so quite vigerous.

And yes, I do know I need to tie it in!

Terry
        Attached Files
        The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

That looks quite good coverage, think I will have a look around and see what honey suckles I can find. Ivy too sounds good, which we could use in the next gap as well.

Thank you both for a bit of inspiration!

Comment

Celmatis montana is pretty and very vigourous but can be a thug too. Living willow grows quick and dense. Also bamboo?

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

wild rose climbs, covers and produces luverrly flwoers.

Comment

We've just planted a climbing hydrangea on a north(ish) fence, it will hopefully be quite dense but is deciduous so better light in winter?
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Depends on your variety of Clematis. I've got one called C. Montana 'Broughton Star' wich grows about 3 foot a year ( or more) and if you cut it regularly it will bush up nicely.

Failing that why not make an Arbout in that courner and then you could plant it with some roses or Honeysuckle or Clematis and if you make it yourself you can make it decorative in its own right.

One CLematis that would be nice might take some tracking down C. Triternata Rubromarginata ( the flowers aren't as big as the name !! about 1" ish but smell of Vanilla
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

All good suggestions there Shelle. Don't know what size your space is - or how tidy and controlled you want it - but you could plant them all and let it run riot.

SBP the climbing hydrangea on a north facing wall is very slow growing - well it has been for me. In 20 years it's made 8 feet.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I could definitely recommend honeysuckle. I planted a small evergreen variety at the beginning of the year to cover a trellis type fence I made and it's already waist high and it's still climbing. Clematis Montana is also meant to be good, I've got two - one pink flowering and one white flowering. I planted them last year and they hardly gre at all. This year however they seem to be really going for it, but the birds keep on nipping off the growing tips which is frustrating!

the honeysuckle I've got is - Honeysuckle Jap Halliana
                      Last edited by Lesley Jay; 21-05-2007, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X