Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying plant (pictures)

Hi there,

We moved into our house last Autumn and so this Spring we've been having fun figuring out just exactly what is planted in our front garden. I am having problems identifying this plant, although it seems very distinctive (so I should be able to figure it out). Can anyone help? All I know is that it's not peony (or if it is, it's very different to others in the garden). I took these photos this morning. The leaves have opened up a lot in the last few days and there are now visible flower buds too. Thanks!

Attached Files

Looks like Peony to me You'll soon know when those buds open!!

Comment

Looks like a peony to me Peony: herbaceous / Royal Horticultural Society

Comment

My vote goes for a Peony too!

Comment

It'll be so frustrating if it is, as I've spent a while trying to figure it out. It's confusing, as I also have peony shoots like these (below) in the garden. I didn't know there were peonies with such green shoots (they've been green the entire time, since sprouting about a month ago).

Attached Files

Comment

I don't have any with red shoots

Comment

Oh, weird! They are most likely peonies then. Thanks everyone! I must just have two different varieties. I'll have to identify them once they flower!

Comment

Put some photos up of the flowers - just to satisfy my curiosity

Comment

Will do!

Comment

My pink peonies have reddish/brown shoots if that's a help?

....and for the record...I think it's a peony too!
                    Last edited by Nicos; 29-04-2013, 09:35 AM.
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My pale pink ones have all green shoots

Does it just depend how red the flowers are - how red the shoots are?

Comment

What makes you think the plants with the red shoots are peonies?

Comment

Because they were in bloom when we came to view the house last Spring, so I know those ones are peonies. Also, the red shoots are typified by the descriptions/pictures of peonies in all my gardening books - and many sites online.

I first guessed the green shoots might also be peonies, but then got very confused as I couldn't find any descriptions/pictures to match. But it seems they must be...!

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                            My pale pink ones have all green shoots

Does it just depend how red the flowers are - how red the shoots are?
                            No, I have a white peony that has shoots redder than my pink peony, (which is a Sarah Bernhardt). Can't remember what the white one is, but it does throw up the occasional flower with a bit of red on a petal or two.
                            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

I have a red peony and it has red shoots just like your picture. The leaves turn green as they open. I would also agree with the general opinion that the green ones are peonies too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X