No announcement yet.

Fushia cells

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick I have always liked Fuchsias ever since I was a child. The flowers always fascinated me both in their form and colour diversity. Because they forecast a cold winter this year I took cuttings of each different plant in my garden to make sure I didn't lose any. I was surprised to learn that a number of people chose Fuchsias as the flower they hate the most? Still as they say if we all liked the same things life would be a very boring place.
    Jax

Comment

Hi Jax,

I meant to say this earlier but forgot! One problem I've found with Standard fuchsias is Vine weevil. & a standard being the size it is, you can't knock it out of its pot so easy. Over wintering isn't too bad you can use Pipe lagging round the "trunk" and this works well.

My father used to have a 30' dutch light greenhouse full of Fuchsias! What a site in summer. I only have about 7 varieties now & I grow them for in the hanging baskets & tubs and I usull do about 20 or 30 cuttings for the plant sale that the Chrysanth club holds every year. & a few for friends of course.
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Nick I think that the Fuchsia I am going to try to grow into a standard will be one of the trailing types I have as the flower is so big and blowsy with the most wonderful colour combination. I have no idea what its name is but if I am successful I will be very happy.
        Jax

Comment

Well nick the deed is done, there's now two 'bedraggled' main plants, and 7 little cuttings in the heated propagator - keep yer fingers crossed!!!
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Post a piccy Jax, O'll see if I can guess what it is
            ntg

Comment

I've done it too!

OK SBP, We are obviously of the same mind as I took 40 earlier on today! About 6 or 7 vaireties:- tr= trailer. S= single. sd=semi double. d=double

Cascade S/tr
              Swingtime D/tr
              Red Spider S/tr
              Darkeyes D/tr
              Winston Churchill D/bush
              Miss California S/bush
              Loves Reward S/bush
              Pink Galore Sd/tr

Hope fully they will root in about 2 - 3 weeks. Especially if we continue to have this bright weather.
              ntg

Comment

What bright weather? Its so dark in the house I have the lights on. Can't see out for the rain

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Suns been shining here Bramble, I had all the doors open in the greenhouses & the vents too & it still went up to about 30c!!!
                  ntg

Comment

Hi Nick,
                    I wonj't say I envy you because we got some good weather during the week but I always look forward to Saturday to get the whole day in the garden. However the weather is getting warmer even if I still have no potatoes in. My father always had his spuds in by St<atricks day so I feel I am running late this year but it has been so cold. Enjoy your sunshine. Don't forget you loose an hour tonight.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hey Nick, no bright weather here either. :-(

I shall be looking at the fuschias every day for the next 2/3 weeks - should they be in the heated prop or out on the kitchen table?

Our fuschias are mmmm 'Dancing Flame' - they have some great names!
                      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 25-03-2006, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I know !!! Interestin that your father used St Patrick ans the guide line. My father never bothered starting till after 1st Aprl so I'm OK by his standards at the moment!

Some of the guys on the lottie have started putting theirs in, but with the weather we've had I don't think they will have done much anyway.

I'll probably catch them up & they ones in bags under the staging will beat them I hope
                        ntg

Comment

Hi SBP,

Mine are on the prop Bench in the greenhouse, this sits at 20c or there abouts but I'm lucky I guess. If they are in the house in a bright (but not direct sunlight) place they should be OK. Might take a bit longer thats all.

You'll know when they are on the move as the growing tip goes a lighter colour and then the grow of course !!!

Have you got a lid over them ? this helps keep the air humid & stops the cuttings dehydrating. If your'e at home during the day you can give them a light mist with a hand spray to help keep the cuttings fresh, but it's not essential
                          Last edited by nick the grief; 25-03-2006, 06:33 PM.
                          ntg

Comment

Excellent - do you have a similar propagation service for any other flowers? Geraniums perhaps? We tried over-wintering some in the cold utility room (where the washer & tumble dryer is) and they've all gone mouldy. :-(

We've started some more as seedlings as replacements.

Comment

You can do exactly the same with Geraniums SBP. I usually root some cuttings around Christmas time & then about this time of year cut the tops off & root them. I've got about 50 rooted at the moment some are the variagated one & the other is a dark purple Ivy leafed one called Tomke (translates to tomcat!) These need a really free draining compost I usulaly mix equal parts compost , sharp sand & perlite water will run straight thru it nearly.

Cut the below a leaf the same as for Fuchsias, then I remove the little leafy bit that is on the stem, it'll only rot so you may aswell remove if to start with.

Then you have a choice. some people leave them so the end heals over & then put into the compost some people put them into homone rooting powerd then into the compost.

I use the later purely because I can't get down to the greenhouse every day in the winter & they would be left for weeks at a time. It's whatever suits you best.

The best sucess rate Is isf I plant the guttings around the side of a clay pot - the drainage is better & there is more air in the compost, followed by using 40 cell trays for a similar reason I guess.

Because the comost if so open they need potting up ASAP because there isn't much in the way of nutrients for the growing plant.

Hope this is clear. Off for a refill of the tea mug now
                              ntg

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief
                                You can do exactly the same with Geraniums SBP. I usually root some cuttings around Christmas time ....
                                Yo! ho! ho! I shall ask again around the 25th then!

I shall pass on the above interesting info!
                                Last edited by smallblueplanet; 25-03-2006, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X