Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Marigolds

Hi All

I fancy growing some of these at the lottie to look pretty and attract beneficial insects etc. My questions is, will they self sow and come up again next year? I am planning on [putting them along the edges of the beds so would be ideal if they did!!

Thanks!
    Julia
    If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Oddly, although called "French" marigolds, tagetes originate in Mexico, where the temperature seldom drops below freezing, so tagetes are not frost hardy.
    The seeds, if left outside over winter, will probably die. You can gather them up in autumn, then scatter them about the following spring when the danger of frost is past, though.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Thanks - will try and do that then!

Comment

I use french marigolds as companion plants with my onions, They have never ever grown again from seed in the open.

Comment

Calendula (pot or english marigold) is hardy and will self seed. Calendula officinalis - Hardy Annual Seeds - Thompson & Morgan

Comment

I have French marigolds in my polytunnel every year and they self seed quite happily (I often wait till they get a certain size and then transplant to get them where I want them) but also I've noticed that if I compost the dead plants I often get them spread the compost around the lottie in general I often get stray plants all over the place so the winter doesn't do for the seeds at all.

Note that calendula, whilst a great plant, isn't hardy as in it will survive frosts and will come again from seed as an annual in the UK but as Rustylady says will self seed very happily.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks for that - I might go for calendula instead then!

Comment

You can eat them too - flower petals in salads (Calendulas)
                You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Originally posted by w33blegurl View Post
                  will they self sow and come up again next year?

No. They're HHA, which means they're too tender for the seeds to survive our winters. I have had the odd couple self-sow, but they've been poorly weak plants, and it only happened once (particularly mild winter)
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    No. They're HHA, which means they're too tender for the seeds to survive our winters. I have had the odd couple self-sow, but they've been poorly weak plants, and it only happened once (particularly mild winter)
                    The ones off the compost heap and in the tunnel are excellent plants but suppose they've had the extra protection of a plastic cover and at least some warmth on the heap.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

W33blegurl ........ I love your sig
                      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                        W33blegurl ........ I love your sig
                        Thanks - it describes my DIY skills to a tee!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X