Roses

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roses

I have a formal garden area in the garden i have just moved to. It has about ten 6' square beds each of which has about four rose plants in them. I know absolutely nothing about roses. I suspect they may be special roses because the garden has been tended by somebody who was a really serious gardener in the past.
    How do I identify roses without having to wait till they flower?
    I don't really want to keep them all but don't want to destroy anything that is perhaps rare or special in any way. I would like to use these beds to grow flowers to cut for the house.
    All help will be appreciated.
    Thank you !
    Lynne x

I don't think you can identify them except by their flowers. You could perhaps work out what sort of roses they are by their growth habit but not the specific variety.
    Can you grow other flowers around them?

Comment

Thank you.
      No I don't think there would be room and I'm not really into roses. I have a dog and my daughter has an elderly cat and I think roses and holly are a bit dangerous.
      I would like to just keep a couple of stunners and plant loads of different flowers for cutting.
      Lynne x

Comment

I'm not a fan of roses either, Lynne. Nasty vicious things in my opinion! I have similar problems with an almost blind dog so try to keep spiky things above her eye level.

Comment

I don't like spikey things which is a shame isn't it because the flowers of spikey things are usually stunning.
          Ditto thorny fruits. I grow them but not too many because of the danger to critters.
          My wizzy has cateracts so I should imaging his eyesignt will get worse too.

Comment

You could wait til they flower and see what you've got and which ones you like. If you haven't pruned them you've about got time. They'd love a dollop of manure. If they are old established bushes I don't think you'd have much luck moving them. Or bite the bullet now and take out the beds which don't work for you in terms of where they are. If you don't know what they are you won't miss them! Not all roses are thorny, I have two in my garden, Geoff Hamilton and Perle D'Or, which are virtually thornless. Whereas the climber Maigold is evil! I know I've just pruned it, but I always forgive it when it comes to flowering time. Perhaps how thorny they are might help you decide which to keep and which to go!

Comment

Thank you.
              My main concern is that I inadvertently remove a rose that is rare or special in some way because the garden has been tended by a really dedicated gardener in the past. I would rather find out what they are and if any of them are 'special' I would rather give them away or take cuttings to give away so that the 'specialness' can be passed on.
              I think I have decided to leave them be, they haven't been looked after for the last 7 years at least, and then when I can identify them I will decide which will stay or go. I will definitely be transplanting or taking cuttings of anything I want to keep because I want to use the area that they are in for other things.
              Loving the replies, a hearty thank you.
              Lynne x

Comment

You are not that far from David Austin,maybe they could help with identification & then information on each variety could be worth a call or visit ... Contact us - David Austin Roses
                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Ahhh that's a good idea. Somebody did mention to me that David Austin was close by.
                  Thanks for that. That is what I will do. (now why didn't I think of that) lol.
                  Lynne x

Comment

If you do go there for a visit you may like to look in at RAF Cosford (which is nearby) there is a small car park fee but entrance to the museum & displays is free
                    Last edited by bearded bloke; 01-03-2013, 09:27 PM. Reason: smelling pistake
                    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

So many places to visit! I want to go to the Shire Horse centre too. Sounds lovely.
                      Lynne x
                      (I'm supposed to be asleep!!!) keep coming back to see whos posted what lol. What with here and looking for kitchens ill never get any sleep!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X