Flowers to Take Over My Garden ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson
    In the thread Flowers I Hate, there seems to be a dislike of flowers that take over the garden.

PLEASE let me know which ones have taken over in your garden - they might stand a chance of growing up here normally.

Desperate of Shetland ...................
    Plants you could try and that are currently driving me crazy include borage - a real weed! I don't care how useful it is, I hate it , could be because I'm allergic to it... . Somewhat nicer but incredibly invasive is Golden Rod, grows about 24"-30" in thick clumps and has pale yellow sprays (racaems) in july ish. I could send you some if you want - but I'm not sure you'll thank me two years hence! Day Lilys (Haemerocalus ?) is also a good one, the flowering season is short but they are very impresive. Not easy to get rid of!

Hard to kill plants would include winter jasmine (a thug if it likes your garden) and bamboo - there are so many varieties there is bound to be one that is suitable for your area, if not your taste!

Hope this helps
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Forget me knots spread like wild fire along with poppies in my garden, put the latter in six years back as an annual, have since re-landscaped and still they are coming back. Love them.
      Best wishes
      Andrewo
      Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

i planted forget-me-knots last year and they didn't flower, but this year they came up early and have been in flower for the past month - I love them and I hope they spread everywhere - even into my neighbours garden to get him back for all the mint and catchweed that comes and invades my garden from his!

Comment

Thanks TP - I have just sown some borage, never tried it before. Tried golden rod from a friend who has masses in her garden (here in Shetland), but it doesn't grow in mine. We must have different soil - like I can't grow lupins, which I love.

I must try some bamboo - it always looks so good blowing in the wind. I;ve just planted a pampus grass, from a friend. I've got five growing in the garden now and they seem quite hardy. Love the way they really blow around in a Force 12!
          ~
          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

bamboo doesn't like the wind very much. I've got several small plants that I was promised would grow at a tremendous rate but haven't [maybe 'cos I kept them in pots for fear of them spreading everywhere] and they are rather affected by wind...just thought I'd warn you.

Comment

Eskymo, have been told of bamboo, first year they sleep, second year they creep, and third year they leap. I think its true as i have several and see the same thing happening to mine. Mind you, some of them have taken over my garden and I had to pay a man to dig one of them out the root went down so far. I really love them as they add movement to the garden.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

so I've got another year to wait to see mine flourish. Do you think I should plant some out into the garden. I've got the varieties written down somewhere and so should be able to find out if they're invasive or not. I know one variety is black bamboo but can't remember the other two.

Comment

I find that bamboo is not too keen on the wind here, I've got one planted at the front - about 30 yds from the sea - and the leaves always look a bit tired. the 2 others round the back are a bit better.

another plant that takes over is alstromeria (sp?) or peruvian lily. spreads like mad, and I am currently fighting a battle against it in the veg garden.

Comment

Originally posted by fruit&vegvirgin
                    I find that bamboo is not too keen on the wind here, I've got one planted at the front - about 30 yds from the sea - and the leaves always look a bit tired. the 2 others round the back are a bit better.

another plant that takes over is alstromeria (sp?) or peruvian lily. spreads like mad, and I am currently fighting a battle against it in the veg garden.
                    It's probably the salt they don't like FVV rather than the wind. My sister ahs a nice little bamboo that I bought her for a pressie, grows about 2ft tall & spreads like mad, she grows it in a pot though so it's OK

Alstromeria's, I've just sowed some seeds of these as I love them, they are a great cut flower nearly as good as Chrysanths but look a bit more exotic.
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

alstromerias' most annoying thing is they establish really well but are then a b*gger to move - I have a huge patch in the kitchen garden, expanding like mad, in fact cant rein them in hard enough, but they dont like being moved at all - have tried several times now with no luck.

Comment

Hi Jennie, there's a plant which was sold to me as 'fox and cubs' but it probably has a myriad of common names. The lady who sold it told me it can be really invasive. It seems to be doing quite well so far, though I planted it just a couple of years ago. It seems to be a relative of dandelions. It has long rounded mid-green leaves which sprout a bit rosette-like from the base and long flower stalks with crimson red daisy-type flowers. Very colourful and can certinly take care of itself. The seeds are a like parasols and can carry many metres with a breeze. Does anyone know the latin name?

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Hi Birdiewife, it's latin name is Pilosella aurantiaca & it's also known as 'the Devil's paintbrush'!
                          Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

That's the one! I can see why it's called Devils paintbrush, but I think I'll stick to fox-and-cubs !

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

My Clematis Montana is starting to grow at last - new leaves appearing everyday. The healthy one is still only about 20cm high but i can see it spreading quickly. The other one that I got that just looked like a twig [part of a BOGOF offer] has now got a couple of leaves on it, so I'm glad I did plant it and not give up on it. I did nearly throw it in the bin...thank god I didn't.

Can I feed them with anything to increase growth?

Comment

Devil's Paintbrush - I might need to give that one a miss living in a Manse opposite the Church!
                                ~
                                Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X