Pruning Roses please help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pruning Roses please help

Hi, I live in Essex and have inherited over a dozen what look like shrub roses, they are really really lanky, and I am desperate to prune them. Is it too early ? or do you think I could get away with it. Thanks

Rose pruning: general tips / Royal Horticultural Society

Should be carried out about now.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Got any pictures Chickchick?

Comment

pruning shrub roses isn't too technical. Can even be done with a hedgetrimmer. personally, I use my trusty secateurs and always prune to an outward facing bud as that nicely results in the centre of the bush being kept open. I usually prune before onset of winter but at that stage I just roughly prune off any lanky top growth so that the bushes don't get thrown about by the wind. Final pruning in spring on a fine day when frost isn't forecast to follow for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by ChickChick View Post
          it too early ?
          It's getting to be too late, not too early.

You should do it while the plants are dormant (mine are just budding now)
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I did mine just over a week ago, I've never pruned roses before so didn't really know what I was at. I just cut everything back to within 6' of the ground. They've only been planted a year so they were only about 18" to 2' high anyway.

Comment

Do it now Chickchick and you'll be fine.
              Follow Aberdeen Plotters advice and make sure you prune them down to an outward growing shoot.
              Good Luck.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...