Planting crocus in the lawn.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting crocus in the lawn.

Hi, I saw a pic Veggiechicken posted which showed crocus blooming throughout a grassy area. How beautiful and it reminded me of a large field in front of a house in the country I used to see every spring from the roadside when I was a child. It was absolutely carpeted with blooming crocuses and indeed looked a wonderful sight. So seeing Veggie's photo and my chilhood memories I feel inspired to plant some crocus in a grassy area I have. It's not of a high enough standard to call it a lawn. I have several questions to which I hope someone has the answers. Considering I might be planting 500 or more bulbs - is there an easy way. Surely I don't need to make 500+ individual holes, plant each bulb and then cover up each hole. The though of it makes my back ache even though this ain't gonna happen til next autumn. Secondly, how quickly would you expect the bulbs to multiply? Any help or advice on all of this will as always be much appreciated?

You can slice three sides of a square with your spade, roll it back like a carpet and pop bulbs under, roll back. But these naturalise over time, so unless you really want to buy 500 crocus bulbs and plant the lot, I would opt for a few in patches all over the place and they will then do their thing
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Hey thx VVGrower, that's a brilliant idea. Wow and so simple. Thx again - that's the hard work taken care of. Now the question of how quickly they naturalise. I'd love someone to be able to answer that.

Comment

Well it's not instant depends how happy you make them!
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Thank you Cheops. I'm chuffed that my crocus have inspired you They are Tommasianus crocus - not the bright yellow, purple and white ones that are normally sold. I have planted those elsewhere but the yellow ones are eaten by birds and they don't seem to spread themselves about like Tommasianus. I don't remember planting them but I did plant the snowdrops and mini daffs that are all in the same group - but not the bluebells that are also in there. I've lived here for 30 years
          The little crocus are spreading through the garden - odd ones springing up yards away from the main patch. It is difficult to get to the clothes line without walking on them!
          Don't expect it to be quick though!
          For planting, I'd follow VVG's suggestion of lifting a turf and planting a cluster of bulbs.

Comment

You have made me laugh but not answered my question. Surely we have some who knows. Would the number of crocusus [or is it croci ha ha] double every year or would you expect them to double every two years three or what????

Comment

Sorry Cheops, I don't count them!! You could give them a helping hand by gathering the seeds and growing them on RHS Plant Selector Crocus tommasinianus AGM / RHS Gardening

Comment

My post saying you have made me laugh was meant for VV Grower but your post VChicken got in the way lol. Anyway thx for the inspiration VChicken and advice from you and all the rest. Come this autumn I'll be planting according to the advice and being a lilttle impatient will probably overbuy and overplant but who cares. Next spring i'll post a pic so you can all see the result - good or bad.

Comment

Give yourself a head start and grow some from seed CROCUS TOMMASINIANUS SEEDS (Woodland Crocus, Tommies) (Other suppliers are available!)

Comment

Hmm, I'm tempted but I do like instant success. But will have a look and consider. Thx.

Comment

Don't bury them too deep Cheops.

Comment

Why do you say that Rustylady? I'm very keen on planting bulbs deep in the flowerbeds - that means if after they die down I can plant annuals digging a hole for their roots and knowing I won't be carving up the bulbs below as they are deep. Last autumn I planted crocus around the fruit trees and hyacinths and tulips in varuious parts of beds. I planted them at least a spade deep though with the crocus probablly about 7inches deep. All bulbs planted are showing well above the earth at the moment with the crocus in flower. I have no reason to plant the crocuses next autumn in the lawn deep as unlike the flower beds the ground won't be disturbed. So as you say I won't plant them too deep but I'm curious why you said that as I'm ever eager to learn.

Comment

Hole boring bits for the soil are available that fit electric drills. They come in handy for planting lots of bulbs.
                          The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies.

Gertrude Jekyll

************NUTTERS' CLUB MEMBER************

The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
                          Alice Kingsley: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll
                          tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Comment

thx Dusty, will give that a thought too but the idea of lifting back a sq ft or so at a time and easily planting a large clump of bulbs seems the easy way to go.

Comment

Veggie you said 'It is difficult to get to the clothes line without walking on them!'. That's good - you are successful if they abound like that. But do indeed tread carefully for among the mauve and purple columns it is the domain of the fairyfolk. Destroy any part of their enchanted land and at the very least you will find the milk in your fridge soured.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X