English Bluebells

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English Bluebells

I have several clumps of proper English Bluebells at one end of my garden but Spanish ones at the other end and in neighbouring gardens.
    I am worried about cross pollination.
    Will the Spanish invaders ruin my English Bells or will my English Bells produce more English Bells and any Spanish ones will grow seperately, if you know what I mean?

Thanks
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

The english and the spanish may well cross pollinate but that can't be helped. I'm afraid nature will have its way. The English ones will still continue to multiply as will the Spanish!
    If it was me I would remove the Spanish variety as they are endangering the native blue bell something wicked
    Sorry Julia

Comment

Hello Julia, how do you remove the Spanish bluebells. I have them popping up for weeds all over my garden. I've tried digging them out, can dig down 2' and it makes no difference. Have even sprayed with weedkiller - back they come. Any other ideas ?

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

You have to dig them up! They will seed everywhere. I have both and also some of the hybrid. I am waging a war to eliminate the Spanish. (Shades of the Armada!)
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I have this vision of Flum with a 12bore shot gun blasting any Spanish bluebell silly enough to stick a leave above the ground shouting Die you Conquistador!
          It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

Comment

Rats! You've been peeking!

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
              Rats! You've been peeking!
              Sure have Good fun enit (the shooting not the peeking)
              Last edited by Grandpadragon; 11-05-2007, 04:23 PM.
              It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

Comment

I can understand your frustration but I seem to have the opposite problem! I put in a load of english bluebell bulbs (cultivated - not wild) as per instructions but they seem to be very very slow to appear - is this always the case or am I doing something wrong? Any advice would be helpful.

Comment

Bluebells are later than many spring bulbs. I'm only just getting the greenery showing above the soil. These are well established ones too. If they are newly planted they could well be later. Don't despair yet!

Comment

Thanks Flummery - I guess I need to learn the art of patience!

Comment

Hi
                      I planted some English bluebells and they didn't do much in their first year, were OK in their second but this year have promising little clumps raring to go so it does look as if they have been multiplying.
                      Sue

Comment

I live next to an old priory and bluebells keep popping up as weeds on my veg beds. I keep digging the bulbs up and carefully rehoming them, but they seem to like being treated mean as they keep coming back. Does this mean they are a very hardy old variety or is it that I'm not digging deep enough?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X