Plants to scatter in gravel paths?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plants to scatter in gravel paths?

I need to soften our new gravel paths - can anyone recommend any low growing, non-invasive plants which don't mind being walked on please? I think there's a variety of thyme I could use? And chamomile? But no idea what else. Thx.
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Thyme and chamomile were top of my list, how about little alpines or pinks? Do you prefer herbs for eating? There are lots of different thymes you could plant.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Erigeron profusion - a little pinky white daisy - very pretty.
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hi VVG, fancy meeting you in here . Would alpines and pinks survive being walked on? I don't mind whether things are edible or not to be honest, but I'd love some colour and nice smells .

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
          Erigeron profusion - a little pinky white daisy - very pretty.

Thanks Jeanied, I'll try to get hold of some of those

Comment

I've got a small section of thyme path and it can stand some walking on but it can't be heavily trafficked without damage and certainly wouldn't cope with being wheeled over for example. It is however more sturdy than chamomile which I gave up on as it was too much work to keep repairing. No idea what type of thyme it is but obviously make sure it's a low growing variety. Alpines would be fine at the edges but again couldn't be tracked over.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thx for the advice Alison. I'm not planning on covering the whole of the paths, just dotting things around here and there, so I'll keep them to the edges as much as possible.

Comment

Could you put the low growing plants at the side rather than to be walked on. We use sweet woodruff and dragon's blood clover which is allowed to do it's own thing for ground cover under the taller plants in our borders. Anything that looks funky we get, put down and let it spread and hang over the sides. Chives are also good for softening paths.

Comment

Originally posted by kathyd View Post
                  Hi VVG, fancy meeting you in here . Would alpines and pinks survive being walked on? I don't mind whether things are edible or not to be honest, but I'd love some colour and nice smells .
                  Possibly not, but even thyme and chamomile suffer when walked on too much. You could put the softer plants up the edges and chamomile in the middle walkway areas. Sounds lovely, whatever you're doing.
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X