Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Garden Design

All,

After moving into our new house in March last year and focusing on getting the back garden in order for growing vegetables [raised beds/greenhouse/coldframes] I am now turning my head to sorting out the front garden which at the minute consists of stone pebbles, large rocks, zero flowers and zero green foliage.

My question if anyone can help is I am planning on removing all the stones/rocks, installing a weed barrier and filling the area with topsoil. I'm planning on having solely white flowers, shrubs, bulbs, perennials etc but was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of where to start. Area of garden in question is only 5m x 1.5m. I'm thinking a couple of dwarf white flowering rhododendrons and perhaps 3 or 4 different species of white flowering tulip varieties planted intermitently in the garden area. When it comes to any other white perennials or shrubs I hit a sticking point as i dont have a clue. I'm also thinking a white climbing plant of some description to climb up a trellis next to the front window.

If anyone has any tips/advice or even the best time of year to plant everything then i'm all ears. Any comments are much appreciated.

Cheers, Ross

Snowdrops, narcissi, sweet rocket, white camellia
    Climbers - a Rose maybe Iceberg, jasmine
    This might help http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...nghurst-plants
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 26-06-2012, 12:02 PM. Reason: adding link

Comment

White clematis for your climber?

Comment

If you have a couple of hours to spare ....you may find this site very helpful...

List of White flowers - Gardenology.org - Plant Encyclopedia and Gardening wiki
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Mexican orange blossom - we've two in our front garden, lovely dark green leaves (or bright yellow/green if you go for a diff variety), gets covered in white flowers in spring and it's evergreen. We keep ours clipped to about waist height but you can let them grow taller. If your going for white flowers then you want something behind to make them stand out - you could plant shorter things in front that flowered later and it would be a great backdrop.

Comment

You can get white versions of lots of things, pick your favourites and see if there's a white version

Look for interesting foliage plants too - you could get pale green-grey or variegated white-green to "match" (as far as is possible of course) or dark purple for contrast. You ought to be able to make sure there's something flowering all around the year, but these will fill in the rest of the bed when their neighbours aren't flowering

I'd go for a rose up the trellis and a winter-flowering clematis through that, a mock orange, a rhododendron and a small apple, heather, lavender, aquilegia, foxgloves, snowdrops, daffodils, tulips, and whatever silver-leaved plants I could find, but those are just my favourite plants that come in white and which have a variety of heights/habits and flowering times. Obviously I prefer a dense planting style too!

Comment

When it snows my garden is luvverley and white...............and just as good as my neighbours!

PS Got some lovely self seeded white foxgloves flowering at the mo and they look pretty as a picture!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

In my last garden we had a lovely rambling rector rose over the doorway, it used to rip my arms to shreds whenever I pruned it but in late spring it was full of the most wonderfully smelling petite white blooms.
                I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I have a white bed in my garden and have the following in it

Budleja
                  cornus kousa
                  Physocarpus
                  philadelpus
                  clematis
                  lillies
                  peonies
                  foxgloves
                  tulips
                  daffs
                  crocus
                  heather
                  pansy's
                  phlox
                  canterbury bells
                  snowdrops
                  colchicum
                  agapanthus
                  Iris

we also have white rambling roses around the front porch

Comment

One of my customers has a white area. There are beautiful white Hydrangeas with a lovely lacey flowers (I can't abide Hydrangeas, generally, but these are really attractive). Also Acanthus and Roses, and a beautiful tall white Aquilegia.
                    Last edited by Glutton4...; 29-06-2012, 09:59 PM.
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X