Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wild flower sowing

Hi
    In May I sowed some wild flower seed in the area on my allotment where most of my fruit trees are situated, thinking that it might give some ground cover. It doesn't look like anything is happening I cleared the ground of small perennial weeds to give them a head start (or so I thought) gave it a good rake to loosen what top soil there was and tamped seed down after sowing, but after close inspection it still doesn't seem as though any seeds have germinated. The weeds, however, are doing well.
    Any ideas on what to do for next time? Things will grow there as I have some wallflowers which have appeared again this year, but sadly nothing else.

I sowed seeds around my local town, Morrison 2 boxes for £3, and three flower granades; not seen much growth yet. I planted some naturtians that are still alive, small but growing. A Lupin that is starting to bud. I am hoping to see some colour soon.

And some oak trees, but that is for another thread, lol

Comment

Wildflowers, sadly, don't compete well with grasses & other weeds. Sprinkling sounds ideal, but I've never found it to work.

It's safer to start them in modules, then plant out as seedlings. That's what I did here, and now they happily self seed. All I have to do is keep pulling the unwanteds (docks, nettles, couch, horsetail) out
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 16-06-2012, 05:08 PM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Agreed 2S ^^^^^^^. If you really want to grow something, start it off in a pot or a seed tray. You could sow trays of seedlings and plant them out in a block, without splitting. This would mimic the sprinkling that you have tried.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Agreed 2S ^^^^^^^. If you really want to grow something, start it off in a pot or a seed tray. You could sow trays of seedlings and plant them out in a block, without splitting. This would mimic the sprinkling that you have tried.
          I did that too, but the bulldozer went over the rough ground that I had used, still hope for some tho.

Comment

Sorry YFS, I didn't anticipate bulldozers getting in on the act! Don't suppose you did either

Comment

They havnt even got planning permission yet, lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X