Daisy Type

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daisy Type

We are moving to a new apartment and I'm ready to try some new plants on our new balcony. The sun hits directly on it and we have sunshine most of the season here. What type of daisy plant do you recommend?

Coloured by Gerbera

Comment

Where abouts in N America are you Mato? (Thinking of climatic Zones also)

My thoughts would be perhaps the Ox eye daisy - it's pretty hardy and grows wild in the hedgerow here. We usually get hot,dry summers and they survive in the wild in full sun.
      Last edited by Nicos; 28-05-2012, 09:38 AM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Gaznias and Osteospernum will stand full sun and fairly dry conditions.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I could recommend things for the UK, but I don't know your (American) climate, or what you have available to buy.
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 28-05-2012, 08:27 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Gazania, Osteospermum, Argyranthemum, single flowered dwarf Dahlia and dwarf sunflowers.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              Where abouts in N America are you Mato? (Thinking of climatic Zones also)

My thoughts would be perhaps the Ox eye daisy - it's pretty hardy and grows wild in the hedgerow here. We usually get hot,dry summers and they survive in the wild in full sun.
              Forgive me contradicting you Nicos, but I think an ox-eye, or dog daisy on a balcony would stink the apartment out. The scent is not pleasant.

Echinacea might be nice, osteospermum as roitelet says, daisy flowered chrysanthemum, coreopsis, the choice is almost endless, depending on your zone and weather conditions.
              Last edited by mothhawk; 28-05-2012, 06:03 PM. Reason: as ever, smelling pistakes
              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
              Endless wonder.

Comment

I grew marguerites (argyranthemum) on my balcony when I lived in Maryland - a bit different to So.Cal., but closer than the UK, climatewise. Also had windowboxes on the railings with heliotrope (fantastic scent!), calibrachoa, and ivy.

But the most interesting plant I grew on that balcony was moonflowers, Ipomoea alba. Think morning glory on steroids! The flowers are huge, bigger than my hand, and you can watch them open in real time. Lovely scent, too.
                March is the new winter.

Comment

I am in Southern California. I've tried Gerbera daisies before and they sprouted, but died shortly after. Maybe I'll give the moonflowers a try; they are lovely and remind me of Alice in Wonderland.

Comment

Make sure to keep them well watered and give them something tall and strong to climb up. I had a tripod of stout bamboo canes, over 6 feet tall, and they were to the top of it and looking for someone to grab in no time flat.

Attached Files
                    March is the new winter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X