Mystery plants solved! and an astrantia question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery plants solved! and an astrantia question

I've finally managed to clear out enough weeds, leaves, twigs, etc. to find the labels on a couple of my mystery perennials: betony and astrantia.

The betony I'm not sure about keeping - it did have to be moved, so I've dug it up and stuck it in a pot for now. It is supposed to be good for bees and butterflies, but I'm not that keen on the look of it.

Having looked up the astrantia, I'm happy for it to stay, even though it takes up nearly a cubic meter of my 27 square meter plot. The label says mine is white but I'm now tempted by a dark red one, maybe 'Moulin Rouge' - just not sure I have the space if I want veg too!

Does the astrantia want any kind of support?
    March is the new winter.

No, the stems of astrantia are quite stiff but the leaves can be a bit floopy. I have never had to support mine.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I grow 4 different cultivars of astrantia and they are brilliant at doing their
      thing. Fish blood and bonemeal dressing in the spring and then I just leave them to it.
      Tough as old boots!

Comment

Yup, I've noticed that they're tough as old boots! The garden I've just taken over has been completely neglected for a few years, and winter before last there was a meter of snow on the ground for a month. The astrantia is one of the few things remaining. And it's hoooooge!
        March is the new winter.

Comment

Chop it up in the autumn and keep the outside bits and replant or give it away. That way you can reduce the size and create new plants which will do better than an old one.
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I like that idea. It is a lovely plant, though, very lush and architectural.
            March is the new winter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X