Planted geraniums

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planted geraniums

I bit the bullet today and cleared my front garden. It isn't very big, 6ft deep and the width of a terraced town house, but I really hate doing it. The soil isn't good, and to be honest I use all my compost on the allotment or on the back, where I can enjoy the benefits. It is south east facing too, so everything dries like concrete when we get sun. I'm aiming to allow my stipa grass to take over, so I leave any seedlings in. I've also got a couple of lavender bushes.
    Anyway, 2 buckets of weeds and a carrier bag of litter later, I decided to plant out my overwintered geraniums. With the forecast wet and mild they should get their roots down and give a good show in the summer, splashes of colour between the grass. I know they are pretty tolerant of dry conditions once established, so I'm hoping I won't need to do much more out there except for a bit of weeding.
    We hardly ever use the front door, but fronting onto a footpath we do get a lot of people passing by, so I do want to make a little bit of an effort.
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Sounds lovely - at least you've made the effort and done it now! I ran out of growing room at the back so my front is quite heavily planted. It's a bit like being is Sleeping Beauty's castle in the summer as I have planted 2 rather rampant climbing roses. My elderly neighbour opposite always says how nice it looks and enjoys looking at it from her side so I think it's worth it.

Comment

I bet it felt amazing to clear out all those weeds. I always feel a sense of accomplishment when I've done a big garden cleaning. Good luck with the geraniums!

Comment

Ours survive in our porch with intermittent watering and baking hot when the sun streams through so it sounds like a good choice to me. I chopped the scraggly looking bits off a few weeks ago and stuck them in a pot - they've all rooted so they'll be going out soon. The front garden (dry like yours) is probably a great idea for where to put them

Comment

Iris (flags) like baking heat. Why not try popping those in that space as foreground cover with something taller to the rear?
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X