oh cripes... flowers for Feb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh cripes... flowers for Feb

My friend is getting married next Feb and has asked me to grow some flowers on my allotment for her wedding. I'm perfectly willing to do so, but know nothing about flowers... except to know that Feb is hardly peak blooming season. Erm..?

Can anyone advise on what I could plant that would be ready to cut February? The only thing that springs to mind is daffodils.

And you may be pushing it for them. What does she want, miracles?

Comment

it's also pushing your luck for weeds,unless you grow some flowers for drying,and keep them out the dust,sooner you than me,ask here if she will help you reaserch as to what you can grow,lol
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Can't be done sweetheart. All she'll have is evergreen leaves and maybe some berries for colour.

Unless you have a hot house, one step up from green house.(Botanical gardens and the like).
        Last edited by donnakebab; 01-05-2012, 03:44 PM.

Comment

To be fair evergreen stuff can look pretty good in the hands of an expert florist. Depends also on how much money she wants to spend and where she wants her flowers to come from.

Comment

Although I got married in May I had quite a lot of greenery in my bouquet and if you used contrasting leaf colours it would look great, you could also use berries to some extent although a lot of gone by then. You could also force some bulbs inside but might need a lot to be sure of having some at the right time - a friend of mine had beautiful spring bulbs in hers but it was a month later. There are also some varieties of bulb which do flower very early, remember over New Year seeing a surprising amount of tiny daffs and snowdrops flowering in the winter garden at Dunham Massey. I might be alone in this but I think with the right planning you can do something lovely.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Snowdrops and winter jasmine?

Comment

Dwarf daffodil "February Gold" generally lives up to its name. Covered under tunnels might bring it on if needed.

Comment

I think I'll have to tell her a florist might be best... lol

Flowers really aren't my thing anyway, a few sacificial marigolds and a sunflower or two is all I stretch to generally! So even if there were flowers available who's to say I'd be able to grow them?

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                    Dwarf daffodil "February Gold" generally lives up to its name.
                    It didn't here ~ we didn't get any shows until March
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by bethduckie View Post
                      I think I'll have to tell her a florist might be best...
                      If she wants flowers, yes.

My friend got married in December and I made her place settings for her: ivy, holly and bits of fir, a few pine cones: looked nice

Comment

For scent and height add some branches
                        of yummy scented

Winter sweet "Chimonanthus preacox" yellow waxy flowers

and

winter honeysuckle "Lonicera Fragrantisima" creamy white honeysuckle type flowers

sorry about dodgy spelling

Comment

Anemones forced or greenery with white, which is always a classy combination. Sarcococcus for scent (Christmas Box). Tulips in a simple ribbon tied bunch - but they will need florist wire up the stems. Narcissus (paper whites) in a simple tie. I'll leave you to mull that lot.
                          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I forced tulips this year, but timing them to flower on time is probably a professional job: they come out fast when conditions are right, and go over quickly

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X