Can anyone recommend quick climbers?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recommend quick climbers?

I have a fenced yard/garden and would like to place some tubs/pots of plants against the fence that would climb the fence (wooden fence). I would hope to get something that has leaves on all year round. If it flowered at some stage too that would be a bonus.

It would need to be happy in a pot/container though as I dont have any ground soil.

Thanks

Was hoping to grow honeysuckle but wasn't sure if they would be happy in a pot - plus we only get full sun in the garden from morning until about 1 - 2pm.

Also someone suggested Ivy but I also hear they will not be the best thing for a wooden fence?

Comment

Most climbers will need something other than a flat wooden fence to either cling to (clematis) or wind around (honeysuckle). You could fix clematis netting to the fence, and if your pots are large enough clematis and honeysuckle shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Jasmine does well and has all year interest. You could try both summer and winter flowering types.
        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

OOh! jasmine!! I love the smell of Jasmine!! Thats me happy now...large planters and some netting added to my shopping list so I can have some Honeysuckle and Jasmine...hopefully they will attract the bees!!

Comment

I've got Iceberg rose (it's rampant), honeysuckles, clematis, pyracantha, jasmine & passion-flower over my fences, supplemented by sweet peas in the summer: there's always something happening.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I love sweet peas..my friend grows them and not only are they pretty they are yummy to - bonus!! Are they easy to grow? Do they mind partial shade?

Comment

Originally posted by cactuskiller View Post
                I love sweet peas..my friend grows them and not only are they pretty they are yummy to - bonus!! Are they easy to grow? Do they mind partial shade?
                Errmmmmm - you don't eat Sweet peas!!

This is worth reading http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...eas_45351.html
                Last edited by veggiechicken; 24-04-2012, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Eeek!! lol...I knew it would be a good idea to join a forum and get advice before I started anything....the automated machines that bottle paint stripper are probably more green fingered than me!! lol

Thanks for the heads up veggiechicken!!

Comment

Don't want you poisoned CK - you've only just joined us!

Comment

I might just stick with the edible variety...just to be safe lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X