Colourful annuals??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colourful annuals??

Im mainly planting up my borders with herbs but Im going to have quite a few gaps til things grow in. Can someone suggest some nice colourful, vigorous annuals to plug the gaps!?

Nasturtiums or cornflowers?

Comment

Petunias are fairly hardy and bulk up and flower well if you keep dead heading them.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Godetia and Salpglossis are my favourites. Cheers, Tony.
        Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

Calendula (pot marigold) self seed well and grow well whatever the weather.

Comment

I agree, marigolds are incredibly helpful to other plants as well as being colourful, bright and cheery?

Comment

For hot colours, Nasturtiums, Calendula (marigolds), californian poppies and dwarf Sunflowers. If you prefer cooler colours, Godetia, Clarkia, Candytuft and humble little Virginian Stock (I'm attempting to make it fashionable!)

All can be sown directly now.

Comment

poached egg (Limnanthes douglassi) flowers are pretty and also really attract the pollinators into the garden

Comment

Originally posted by Gearoid View Post
                  humble little Virginian Stock (I'm attempting to make it fashionable!)
                  I like this too, the self sown ones from last years are in flower now and what I sow this year will flower through to frost.

Comment

Cosmos are pretty hardy, prolific and will flower until Oct-Nov if there are no severe frosts. They also self seed.

Comment

Zinnias and asters bright colours and will keep going a long time if you dead head them.
                      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by kentishgal View Post
                        some nice colourful, vigorous annuals to plug the gaps!?
                        I personally detest the garish colours, also any shade of yellow or pink (fascist, me?)

I only grow white or blue flowers at home, the school cutting beds are as follows:

Bed One, purple & yellow
                        Bed Two: red/orange & blue
                        Wildlife Area: anything goes

My lotty is a free-for-all, I'll allow yellow occasionally but no pink

I like T&M's website, because you can search for flowers by colour ~ scroll down the left hand column to refine your search by colour

Here's blue, for example
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X