Unknown bulb - Please help identify

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown bulb - Please help identify

Someone recently gave me some large pots they didn't want anymore, before I tipped the soil out some bulbs (I think) started to grow. I thought they were Tulips to begin with but now I am not sure.

Can any of you help.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Dwarf tulips, I suggest!

Comment

definitely tulips. Turkish ones, at a guess

The name is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't get it: you might find your one listed here (scroll to bottom of page & click on links)
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 19-03-2012, 04:14 PM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Definitely tulips.

Comment

I thought it was a Tulip but then I thought it was too small - So, Dwarf makes sense!!

Thanks for the confirmation! I am going to try and propogate some daffodil bulb in the summer so i might have to have a go with these tulip bulbs as well!!

Comment

They are easy, they multiply themselves. Just keep them fed when the flowers have faded.

Comment

Tulipa tarda, that's what I was thinking of

Comment

Originally posted by keepitgreen View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]27780[/ATTACH]Someone recently gave me some large pots they didn't want anymore, before I tipped the soil out some bulbs (I think) started to grow. I thought they were Tulips to begin with but now I am not sure.

Can any of you help.

Thanks
                Definitely tulipa kaufmanniana - water lily tulip
                Tulipa kaufmanniana, native of Turkey, used to be (by a long shot) the first of our species tulips to bloom, starting as slender candlestick buds at February's end, & unfolding into full bloom by the first week in March, hence a winter bloomer even though usually categorized as early spring. In 2004 however, the Violet Crocus Tulip (T. humilis violacea) bloomed a week sooner than our wild Kaufmanniana, then in 2005 with many more kaufmannianas in the garden, three cultivars bloomed simultaneous with the wild ones.

Comment

Originally posted by shushkin! View Post
                  Definitely tulipa kaufmanniana ...native of Turkey
                  Thank you! I did have a little bit of sense in my addled brain there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X