Perennial Flowers For Cutting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perennial Flowers For Cutting

Can anyone tell me the best varieties for cut flowers. My Mom spends a fortune putting flowers on memorial stones (Husband and two children), so I was thinking I might grow some on my plot that might help with the cost over the flowering season. She tends to go for Chrysanths and Spray Carnations with a bit of Gypsophila thrown in. Some Roses would be nice too.

What are the best options do you think?

I grow cone flower ( echinachea thingies ) , rudbeckia goldsturm, rudbeckia green wizard and carnations . The first thee might be a bit cheerful for memorrial stones though but you can't go wrong with a carnation and you can strike them from bits off the shop bought ones.

Never had much luck with gypsophila and our local lotty tea leaf nicked my roses last year.
    Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

What about flowers that dry well - like statice or helichrysums? Then they would look good for longer once cut.

Comment

Pinks are easier to grow than carnations. You could also put bulbs in for spring flowers, daffodils and tulips perhaps.

Comment

Personally, I hate those plastic wrappers of brown flowers that are left on graves and lamp posts ... aren't you allowed to plant a few spring & summer bulbs ?
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Could you grow a small area of wild flowers? Nice, natural, flowing and pollinator-friendly
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

Mom does plant up a small trough of primulas, pansies and the like but there's a rose bowl in the memorial stones so she likes to put something in there. Not a lot of space between the stones. They are all fairly well packed in.

I have decided not to have one.

Comment

I grew chrysanthemum didyma from seeds last year and it flowered in the first year and chrysanthes last so long as a cut flower.
                Dahlias are lovely too and sweetpeas but they don't last long once cut

Comment

How about the scabious family. I grow the tender "chilli" mix from seed
                  as it wont reliably get through a winter and also have the perennial
                  "Butterfly Blue and "Fama". I find them excellent cut flowers as well as
                  lovely in my perennial borders. Just get a bit cheesed off with having to
                  make sure they are amply supported as they are prone to flop over with
                  the weight of the large flower heads.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X