How to protect plants from pigeons?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to protect plants from pigeons?

I thought it was great, all the bulbs were growing, tulips, bluebells, daffodills etc , about 10 inch high, much earlier and bigger than last year

Now the pigeons have squashed them all flat ( someone decided to feed the birds while i was out.... )

Is there any hope they will regrow this year?

Has anyone got any ideas how would i protect them?

I was thinking small canes in between them spaced so its hard for the giant flying rats to get in between and sit on them?
    Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

stick used pop bottles over your canes and then net them.

Comment

Last year I protected the bras with spikey sticks and twigs. Worked a treat. Looks a hell of a lot more natural than netting. You don't really want netting over your daffs, would kind of kill the look.

Comment

As soon as my clumps of snowdrops start to come through I put wire hanging baskets upside down over them - it stops the pigeons a treat. Then by the time the crocus are coming up the snowdrops are tall enough that the pigeons will walk around rather than over, and the baskets go over the crocus...and so it goes until its time to plant up the baskets

Oddly enough, the pigeons never seem to walk over the bright yellow aconites
        Last edited by mothhawk; 18-02-2012, 07:23 PM.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
          As soon as my clumps of snowdrops start to come through I put wire hanging baskets upside down over them - it stops the pigeons a treat. Then by the time the crocus are coming up the snowdrops are tall enough that the pigeons will walk around rather than over, and the baskets go over the crocus...and so it goes until its time to plant up the baskets ...
          My crocus were attacked. Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try.

Comment

I think i will try that a try as well, theres 30 or 40 of them that sit on the house roof waiting to attack when i go inside, bopping there ugly heads up and down and making that awfull noise

As soon as i go in they are down waddling round bopping up and down on the plants

I should shoot them and hang them up outside the house as free to a good home food....Pigeon is quite in at the minute
            Last edited by starloc; 25-02-2012, 03:53 PM.
            Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X