Hanging Basket advice and recommendations please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging Basket advice and recommendations please

I've seen these easy fill baskets around and wondered what you think to them over others available.

4 x Easy fill hanging baskets 14" Black with free feed: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

Never started our own baskets before so am open ears from all
    www.gyoblog.co.uk

used that type for last 3 years i find them much easier to do as you dont squash the plantlets as you plant them up got them from the local market think i paid about a fiver for 8 of them work well

Comment

Wow, that's cheap. I noticed on my link P&P is £8 :/ Will keep my eyes open when out and about, thanks
      www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

I keep a couple of toilet roll tubes and pop the baby plant into that and then push the tube (root first) in through the gaps
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
          I keep a couple of toilet roll tubes and pop the baby plant into that and then push the tube (root first) in through the gaps
          Sounds good, will see how i get with that method

As to the flowers themselves, how much would you recommend Petunias? The plan in my head is to have the colours of our Union Flag so we can enjoy the Diamond Jubilee so would Petunia grandiflora 'Mirage Red, Mirage White, and Mirage Blue' F1 Hybrid's work well together or would the baskets need something else in them?
          www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Petunias trail don't they? Therefore you might want to plant something in the centre that's more upright, something like a red or blue salvia? (other bedding plants are available)
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have a neighbour who grows petunias in his baskets every year - they look fantastic. He does water and feed well though.

Comment

So far I've sown red salvia, rudbeckia,marigold, petunias, lobelia, pansy's and sweet pea (bijou) for our baskets and planters. I've got nasturtiums french marigolds and sunflowers to go yet for the lottie.
                Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

I have those baskets. They're ok, but compost can fall out of the inserts if you're not using them. I had better results with trailing plants growing over the edges of the basket, rather than in side inserts mind.

Comment

Don't you have to have trailing varieties of lobelia and petunia to er.....trail?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X