Flowers to grow to make wheat bags

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowers to grow to make wheat bags

I am going to grow some lavender plants for my daughter to add to the wheat bags she makes. Please can anyone advise me what other flowers she can dry to use for a different smell?
    Thank you.

I've no idea really but would fennel seeds do? Or lemon verbena leaves. or jasmine flowers, honeysuckle or pinks. I don't know how long these things hold their perfume for or how they would react if heated with wheat.

Comment

Hops? For pillows they are traditional. Chamomile is soothing. Personally, I love the smell of rosemary. Old fashioned roses would scent well. Why not try different lavenders?
      Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 21-01-2012, 11:26 PM.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

wow, quick replies, thank you. Yes, some good ideas to try.

Comment

The smell doesn't last for long though does it? My memories of dried lavender, pot pourri etc is that it just smells musty and dusty after a few months.

You might need to refresh with essential oil?
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

does it have to be flowers,are there any suitable herbs,caraway seeds,just a thought as they smell nice when cooking in the oven
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Pompeylottie View Post
              I am going to grow some lavender plants for my daughter to add to the wheat bags she makes. Please can anyone advise me what other flowers she can dry to use for a different smell?
              Thank you.
              How about scented geranium leaves.(Pelargonium Graveolens).
              This has one of the most beautiful scented leaves that I know - the true old rose geranium fragrance.
              They tend to grow very "leggy" so you would always be able to use the bits that you have to pinch out to keep the plant in shape.
              Also they root very easily, so you could keep a constant supply going .
              As you can see, mine is very, very leggy and I shall be chopping bits off to start new plants in about March.

Attached Files

Comment

Scented pelargoniums are lush. I have the rose scented one and funnily enough have just cut mine back. I have pushed them back in to take root, hopefully. The leaves do tend to go yellow and die though so not sure if they would work once cut.
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X