Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prolific Climbing Rose?

Hi all,

I'm a total rose novice so need a bit of advice. I've got a section of wall about 9 feet wide and 6 tall that i want a disease resistant, easy to grow rose that will throw out loads of flowers for as long a period as possible.

Any suggestions on a good variety?

Also - when is the best time of year to plant one?

Thanks

I love Mme Alfred Carriere Mme Alfred Carrière - David Austin Roses

she is reasonably disease free (I don't find any roses totally disease free) and easily kept below 10ft, she doesn't even mind a North facing wall

Plant any time while things are dormant (but not if ground is frozen)

Comment

I like Rambling Rector. Whatever you choose will need wires or trellis, to tie it to. I would also plant a Clematis of a contrasting colour, to prolong the flowering period.

Good luck with your decision - I expect every post will recommend a different one!
      Last edited by Glutton4...; 04-01-2012, 04:18 PM.
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

wiring won't be an issue as it's going next to my espalier apple!

thanks for the suggestions. any good bright pink ones?

Comment

Link here for you chilliking (with pictures ) Buy roses - thornless - David Austin Roses

Comment

thanks - Zéphirine Drouhin looks like it could fit the bill!

Comment

Beware Zephirine Drouhin is a martyr to mildew on walls, I've grown it before and know from experience
              It's even mentioned in the Ashridge nurseries write up
              Zephirine Drouhin Climbing Rose

Comment

Ramblers grow faster than climbers. Absolutely David Austin and if you can get there or order now, you will get a bare rooter = cheaper. Get some Rootgrow, sold in sachets by them at the same time. The website will allow you to look at climbers. Take your pick with what you like. Paul's Himalyan Musk is my fave! For pink try Gertrude Jekyll or Constance Spry as a climber or Alexandre Girault as a rambler.
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

thanks all. just ordered a Gertrude Jekyll climber!

expect me back soon asking questions about how to look after it!

Comment

So, you know if you want to grow this up around a window, would you be better with two plants? I'm guessing you couldn't train up, then over the window and back down again?

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                      So, you know if you want to grow this up around a window, would you be better with two plants? I'm guessing you couldn't train up, then over the window and back down again?
                      yes - i'm only planning to grow it up an area of the garden wall so no windows to wrap around luckily! i'll start off with one plant and see how it does i think!

Comment

Order in three if going for multiples - looks better! I have GJ - a better rose there isn't...form and scent are beautiful. Have you got Rootgrow? Is it a bare rooter?
                        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Yup, she'll be a bare rooter. I ordered a bad of root fungal stuff to go with it. Any other prep i should be aware of when planting it apart from lots of water?

Comment

No, at this time of year if you soil is half way decent and roses thrive on clay because of the moisture content, then just fork the bottom to loosen, sprinkle Rootgrow ( third of a sachet is sufficient). Soak rose beforehand, tease the roots to get a good spread, plant away from your wall but point to the wall, so slight angle. You will have plenty of time before it needs wires. I use vine eyes and coiled wire as it keeps the rose away from the wall. Return soil to planting hole, around rose and heel in firm. You don't want any rock - bit like brassicas
                            If soil is light or poor in nutrient add humus or compost to planting whole bottom, then Rootgrow and mix a bit in with your returned soil. Water in and wait. I do feed mine in Spring and again late summer but it's not vital. Enjoy, you have picked a corker

Comment

thanks for the advice. fingers crossed it'll like it's new home when it arrives.

will i get flowers this summer do you think?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X