Help with my sickly Clematis

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my sickly Clematis

I bought 2 clematis avalanche a few months ago, planted up in large containers against a wall and began training them over a wooden trellis.

They were growing away happily until a couple of weeks ago (after extended rainfall and very chilly days) when I noticed that the containers were waterlogged (I'd forgotten to put drainage holes in them). After putting holes in them they drained off and I added a little fresh MCP. Today I noticed one of them is looking droopy with many of the newer shoots and bottom foliage limp, floppy and lacking in colour.

I'm guessing that this may be a result of the poor plant having sat in cold water for days - is there anything I can do to perk it up, I'd hate to lose it through my stupidity.

Tip it out of the pot, to make sure the root-ball is not still waterlogged. Then re-plant in the ground, and cover the top of the root-ball with large stones. Feet in the shade, head in the sun, is the general rule for Clematis. In my experience they never thrive in a container, but I fully expect someone else will soon come in and prove me wrong!
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Glutton is absolutely correct. I feel sorry for most plants I see in containers, but a clematis needs a cool root run. There is one outside our local library in a large plastic container and it is slowly dying, poor thing.

Comment

... you also might have vine weevil larvae in the containers, chewing through the roots
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X