Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African Violet - sick leaves.

Hi,
    I have an african violet who has lived in the kitchen window quite happily for two years, Unfortunatly recently its leaves have odd markings on them ( I will try to get a photo if needed).
    they look like perhaps a beetle is inside the leaf and tunneling around? these 'tunnels' are light brown likes pale tea colour (in contrast to the dark green leaves). (I dont get water on the leaves).
    Many Thanks
    Westforester

I have grown African Violets for many years, but never met anything like your problem, but maybe Violets, African - Gardening - Style - AllExperts.com can help.

Comment

Look up leaf miner and see if the pics match your problem... from your description that would be my guess.

Comment

Is there a chance that condensation from the window may have gotten on the leaves? I would pull off the damaged ones and re-pot the plant and see how it goes.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Thank you for your replies. Im going to remove the damaged leaves and re-pot as suggested.
          If it is a miner then hopefully Ill get them all that way, and Ill move it away from the sink incase its getting splashed.
          I do like it, such a pretty plant, now that Im paying it some attention Im quite inspired to maybe get another one - I didnt realise they came in different colours/styles.
          Thanks for your help.

Comment

You can buy special compost for re-potting African violets. I love them because they are so easy to care for and as you say, come in such lovely shades
            Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 16-04-2010, 06:38 PM.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Shirl is certainly right - make sure your violet is in ericaceous compost as they will not thrive in alkaline conditions. If your tap water is very hard, it would also pay to save rainwater for watering them.

Comment

African Violet - bug?

I have had African Violets for over 10 years now. I never have seen any kind of bugs or bumps on their leaves before? I have taken a picture to see if anybody knows what I can do about it?

The plant looks OK and it has flowers, but the bottom of the leaves do not look normal to me.
                Last edited by rositaa; 20-01-2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X