No announcement yet.

Advice on peonies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grannysmith, I wouldn't give up on the one you planted last autumn yet unless you've already dug it up, it could be just dormant, they don't usually show any growth until early spring. I noticed you'd put a question about it on the end of the other thread about tree peonies, if it was a tree peony with a graft & short stem above this bulge then yes you probably need to plant it deeper, if you've still got a twiggy stem sticking up then try digging it up now whilst it's dormant & replanting it a few inches deeper. As someone's already said, they don't like being moved around once they're settled & can sulk & not flower for a couple of years anyway so it might be worth giving it a chance. If it was just a herbaceous peony then usually burying it about an inch under the soil is enough. I'd put a 'grow frame'( one of those circular wire frames with a criss-cross top) around herbaceous peonies as they do tend to flop around but a tree peony should be alright by itself or with just a couple of canes & some string.
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Hi Sue!

Yeah, I don't usually give up until it's dead, but this time it was dead. Bad snow, poor planting advice (I should have checked in here first! AARRGGHH!!! Live and learn!), plus people treading on its snow-covered corpse finished it.

I have a few tempermental clematis which did what you said and appeared dormant and nearly dead, except that when I broke the stem, you could see green still, so I gave them tons of potash and brought them back to life.

Do peonies like potash too? I suspect the answer will be "Yes" but I won't overdo it until it's established, since it usually takes me and a plant time to get to know each other.

As long as the new one (I'll buy it in a few weeks) settles in ok, including cage frame for support as you suggest, I don't mind if it doesn't flower the first year or two. I waited 5 for my wisteria, so I can wait a few for a peony. The main thing is, getting it settled and happy in the garden, with the right mix of soil and nutrients. And making sure no one steps on its snow-covered corpse . . .
      Changing the world, one plant at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by grannysmith View Post

Do peonies like potash too? I suspect the answer will be "Yes" but I won't overdo it until it's established, since it usually takes me and a plant time to get to know each other.
        Granny. Refer to my first post on this thread. (No.6) Yes peonies like potash.
        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
        >
        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Thought so, but it was a hunch. Still, I won't overdo it in the first year, since that stuff can be strong. Thanks sarraceniac.
          Changing the world, one plant at a time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X